Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best method for putting windshield glass back

Default What is the best method for putting windshield glass back

So I took apart my windshield yesterday in prep for clean up and painting. My gasket was cracked and trashed. I have a new gasket of the same design with the inside lock strip. So I took out the glass very carefully. What is the best method for putting the glass back? Does it go in best from the lock strip side? Or does it go in best from the outside opposite of the lock strip. I am famous for cracking glass and it is also cold in my shop. I don't want to break it since it looks thicker than standard glass. Plus cut replacements always delaminate and look horrible. Help me save my glass please. What did you do to land your glass?
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Al,
    If your glass and new seal are the proper size. Slathering everything with silicone spray and just popping things together should leave you with just 1 corner not set. I have better success with corners more than 90°. But have broken glass on all angles so don’t listen to me.

My main tip was new seal, lots of silicone spray and patience. Then using the lock strip tool really makes that part easy. I have always put glass in with the lock strip channel facing me. Right or wrong? I don’t know. Just my way I guess.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Following. Where did you get your gasket from?
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

I got it off of Ebay. I don't remember who from but tomorrow I will check the box it was in for a name.. I swear I can't remember stuff like that anymore. I bought it before the third bout with covid and losing my sweet Liz. It is frustrating to lose memory like that. The new gasket is a dead match for the old one. Same exact as needed. I am wondering if it was Memphis equip? I will look tomorrow. Anybody else have any input, I am all ears.

It was Memphis equipment. EDIT: oops it was a link to the bottom cowl gasket. Not the glass gasket... Details...LOL
    Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; January 31st, 2024 at 09:50 PM.

Install the glass from the locking strip side. That's what the locking strip is for, it allows you to flex the gasket out of the way so you can slip the glass in it and then when placed locks the gasket to hold the glass. Use lots of lube, both on the gasket and the glass. Use a small hook style tool to pull the gasket out from the edge of the glass and slowly work your way around. The lube will help let the tool slide easily and not catch on the rubber. Don't push too hard on the glass, that's the quickest way to crack it. Instead let the glass slide into the groove as you pull back the gasket.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Appreciate that Dave. That will be a day I will only drink two cups of coffee beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps View Post
    Appreciate that Dave. That will be a day I will only drink two cups of coffee beforehand.
    No problem, It's not too hard, just intimidating to do.
    Dave

Every time I walk by the empty windshield frame I glance at it and know that will be a day of patience. I need to get it painted and get it done... Slowly. Wondering about the lube. Should I use dish soap in water? Silicone? Not sure there. I would imagine a water based lube would be in order. I was thinking about looking at youtube for pointers.

Dish soap is usually the best because of it's easy clean up.
    Dave