Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Cans/Tank holders

Default Jerry Cans/Tank holders

Are all holders the same? I just bought a 79 USMC pair. of cans... but I have no holders and straps..... (one even with the metal filler)

Are all holders the same? (Which means all tanks are the same)

67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

There are countless different jerrycans, but the overall outside dimensions tend to be standard. I'm sure your jerrycan will fit.

I know of no other size Jerry can holder than the one we all know and use. I am 100% positive your cans will fit like a glove.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Make sure you buy real military can holders, as the aftermarket ones are the same size but made with thinner and cheaper metal and don't hold up as well as the real military ones.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

What Beast said. I got an original military one from a Zone member because the OTC ones are flimsy and cheaply made.

Just got a nice pair of 79' USMC cans.... both cans are in good shape, hold liquid, and even came with the donkey **** pour spout.

$40 for both I thought was a fair shake too... now to clean em up and paint them USMC forest green vs. the red they currently are now.

Anyone ever made their own holders? Thinking about fabbing them vs. buying them... the holders themselves with straps also seem quite pricey.

All the above is true if you are using the metal cans. If you are trying to use the newer plastic military fuel and water cans it is a different story. Some fit right in and some you have to mash in. Others you have to beat in. The plastic cans swell and round off at the corners. Once you get a plastic can to fit a holder. Keep putting it in that holder in the future.

I use the plastic ones for diesel and the metal ones for gasoline. With the ethanol, it should be the other way around concerning rust. But, diesel doesn't cause the plastic cans to swell up to twice their size like gasoline does in them when left in the sun. As long as no major elevation change is going on, the metal cans are the same size all the time in my experience.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Same experience here with the plastic. I just bought a couple after fighting rust for too long, and they sort-of fit...if you try hard.

Wouldn't keeping the cans completely full stop the swelling? Isn't it pressure change in the air space that does it? Surely the gasoline liquid isn't expanding...

As my first post stated.. I have 79' USMC metal cans....

So back on topic..

Holders.... Metal ones or should I just fab my own? Anyone have a source for metal military surplus holders for the sides of my truck bed?

Sorry you feel bothered that your question was answered in full and by multiple sources.

However, 5 years from now someone with plastic cans might do a search for what holders they need. Again, they will have multiple answers from multiple sources giving anyone looking for metal or plastic cans an exact answer.

Or, just maybe some spring when you look inside your metal 1979 can and find it looks like lumpy tea. You might wonder if a plastic Jerry can would be better for just driving around? You will already know if it fits or not.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw