Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convoy

Default Convoy

Just read in the local paper that last Saturday a convoy of 60 military vehicles, including motorcycles, ambulances, 1/4 ton jeeps and even a 7.5 ton trailer truck left DuPage County Fairgrounds in Wheaton Illinois for a journey to Santa Monica California. They will be traveling the old Route 66 Highway all the way there. The trip will take 29 days one way, at speeds not to exceed 35mph.
    Maintenance guys have 15 minutes to repair a break down, or else the vehicle is put on a flat bed. Quite a feat in my opinion. A long trip at that speed, and then the return. Vehicles from as far away as New Zealand, Australia, and Puerto Rico are involved. Just wondering if any Zoner's are part of it?
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

I hope they bring some Liberty trucks

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles...ntry-road-trip

As much as I enjoy driving my truck, I don't think I could make that trek. 29 days is just to much time away from my daily routine. Not to mention the stress of thinking about a breakdown. I'd like to think it's for the younger guys, but the pictures showed older guys like me. Plus the younger ones have to work and take care of their families I guess.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

I live in Oklahoma and would like to see these guys as they pass trough. Does anyone know if they have a web page or Facebook group?

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat.4 View Post
    I live in Oklahoma and would like to see these guys as they pass trough. Does anyone know if they have a web page or Facebook group?
    Never mind. Just did a google search and will be meeting up with these guys as they take a rest day in El Reno next Wen. Found it at MVPA Convoys.

Great research Wombat.4. Glad you were able to work something out.

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    As much as I enjoy driving my truck, I don't think I could make that trek. 29 days is just to much time away from my daily routine. Not to mention the stress of thinking about a breakdown. I'd like to think it's for the younger guys, but the pictures showed older guys like me. Plus the younger ones have to work and take care of their families I guess.
    I know several taking part in this, and many more who have done other MVPA convoys in the past, that being said, its all retired folks for the most part, yup old guys, who else can get away from work and life in general for a month ?.... If you keep your rig in good shape with a proper stock of spare parts there is no reason to worry about break downs.

Lee

Yep Lee, you're correct in all you said. When they reach the shores of Santa Monica, do you think they convoy back east, or is everyone pretty much on their own?

It depends on the particular situation, the organizers usually have a secure place to store the rigs on the other end till shippers can handle them, or you have a chase truck/trailer run ahead, I think they run ahead each day. I do know on the last convoy (Bankhead) U-Haul was a sponsor and offered a free truck or trailer rental to return your rig home, a sweet deal.

Lee

How nice of U-Haul to do that.