Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photobucket 3rd party hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    Of hundreds of thousands of forum users I've run into in the last several decades, I've only seen a handful of people who have gone through the trouble to go back and delete every post of theirs. So for an statistically insignificant occurrence, we all lose control of our posts.
    Therein lies the problem.

I can use another site for now, but the 1800+ posts I have (some without pics) would become obsolete without pics.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    Of hundreds of thousands of forum users I've run into in the last several decades, I've only seen a handful of people who have gone through the trouble to go back and delete every post of theirs. So for an statistically insignificant occurrence, we all lose control of our posts.
    Same here. Of all the forums I've been on over the years, only 2 lock your posts. All the rest have an "edited by..." tag on posts if they've been messed with.

Seems overly cautious to me, and with the PB debacle it'll be pretty bad for tech.

Another vote for SmugMug. It's a family business, and the owner runs Advrider.com from the proceeds.

I'm cheap, so I've been looking at Google Photos. Unlimited, free, hotlinking possible if not super easy. And I guess Google is as stable as anyone...

Of course, hosting here would be the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Subybaja View Post
    Same here. Of all the forums I've been on over the years, only 2 lock your posts. All the rest have an "edited by..." tag on posts if they've been messed with.

Seems overly cautious to me, and with the PB debacle it'll be pretty bad for tech.

Another vote for SmugMug. It's a family business, and the owner runs Advrider.com from the proceeds.

I'm cheap, so I've been looking at Google Photos. Unlimited, free, hotlinking possible if not super easy. And I guess Google is as stable as anyone...

Of course, hosting here would be the best!

Don't get me wrong, I'm enormously appreciative to Jon for giving us this site and putting up with us. I just think this policy is causing far more harm than good.

Agreed. Flame wars seem pretty rare around here.

Default Image Shack

Image Shack did similar but not as bad. $39 a year. It was free, then $10 and now $39. Problem is, they renewed me without any notice and charged my card.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Quote Originally Posted by rboltz View Post
    Image Shack did similar but not as bad. $39 a year. It was free, then $10 and now $39. Problem is, they renewed me without any notice and charged my card.
    Photobucket was the same. I will have to watch my charges. I paid for it before they got crazy. They have initiated self destruction in my opinion (for what it's worth).

OK, I signed up on smugmug. Took a couple minutes to get accustomed to the site. 14 days free, then 3.99 a month. That's 10 percent of Photobucket.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

I saw this posted at Planetisuzoo by a fella that saw it posted at a Mercury Marine forum. I tried it on my computer here at work and it appears to work.

"In the cases where former/current PhotoBucket users haven't deleted all their albums.
    Chrome and Firefox now have an extension, Photobucket Embed Fix, that will display 3rd party hosted images.
    It will fix all your broken pics, no need for you to do anything, it runs entirely in the background.

Click Tools>Add-Ons (Or press CTL+Shift+A) >select Extensions > enter "photobucket embed" in the Search box (upper right corner) > then click the install button.

Done! All your old pics should now be displaying again."

I'm sure it's a temporary thing, PB will get wind of it and find a workaround for this workaround. but in the meantime it will allow you to see pics that were hosted by PB and haven't been deleted by the user... and gank them for your own reference files or whatever.

I still couldn't find any detailed shots of a Ford FE in an M715 so I could check front sump pan clearances...