Thread: Oil pump removal

Default Oil pump removal

Any tips or tricks for removing the oil pump from the timing cover? I've been able to get the seal to break, but it's not budging any further.

Should come right out.
    After breaking loose from the gasket, how far does the pump pull out before getting stuck?

Not much - a little more than the width of a putty knife (maybe a mm or two). It's moved out enough to leak oil pretty well but doesn't want to move anymore. I'm wondering if it may be binding up on one of the studs? Trouble is there is not a good place to tap on from the backside to encourage it to move.

Also not sure if a possible problem with the drive gear (hence my distributor not turning) would make it difficult to remove the pump?

Quote Originally Posted by Large View Post
    Also not sure if a possible problem with the drive gear (hence my distributor not turning) would make it difficult to remove the pump?
    Yea, I thought of that. It might be jambed up from damaged gears beng tangled together.

Hopefully it is just stuck on one or more of the four long studs.
    I would try having someone tap down on the oil pump shaft with a long rod through the distributor hole.

That's an excellent idea. I appreciate the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post
    I would try having someone tap down on the oil pump shaft with a long rod through the distributor hole.
    Thanks very much for your suggestion. I was able to get the pump out with this method and some patience. What I found was somewhat discouraging... The pump is completely seized (even though it was full of oil) and one of the shaft gear teeth is broken.

I am going to use my borescope tomorrow to view further into the timing cover through the oil pump hole. Through the hole with a flash light I could see the very top of the bronze drive gear, and it looked to have some shards of metal on/attached to it. The timing gear looks to be in place and shiny/clean.

It seems that at a minimum I will need an oil pump and possibly an oil pump gear or key. Do you know if oil pumps are available any longer, and if there is a difference in the pump for the military vs civilian 230?

Wow, I never dreamed of the oil pump seizing up.

I have seen them on ebay at times for under a $100 but none right now. I bought mine off of ebay from a guy in Turkey.

Willys America has them, but you must send them your core first, and they are pricey.
    http://shop.willysamerica.com/Oil-Pump-p/944626.htm

I see that they have the pump drive gear for a scary price also.
    http://shop.willysamerica.com/Oil-Pu...r-p/944470.htm

The civilian and military oil pumps are same, with the exception of the military version has an aluminum housing.
    And the civilian pump has a cast iron housing.

Wonder what ever happened to Jack Clingerman who had the "for sale" ad for those NOS parts. Did anyone here complete a transaction with him?

I wouldn't have thought so either. I guess the truck had set for long enough in the right conditions to lead that to happen.

Thanks for the links to the pump and drive gear. I'll keep my eye on e-bay and give Vintage Power Wagons a call later this week, but I'm guessing if they have them they will also be expensive.

I also noticed, that the bottom end of the shaft (right below the gear) on my pump is a different shape than the one on the Willys America site. Mine appears to be more of a "star shape" whereas their's is more conical or round. Looking into the timing cover hole where the pump slides into, I can't see any indentations where the "star" shape would lock to, so I'm guessing this is just a different design to accomplish the same purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post
    Wonder what ever happened to Jack Clingerman who had the "for sale" ad for those NOS parts. Did anyone here complete a transaction with him?
    I posted a follow-up inquiry in his Classified thread, and nothing resulted. Still hoping the shackles & oil pump I wanted may still someday be available.