Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hood Latch Questions

Hi Nailhead,

Do you have a few pics to show how that works? I found the hood mechanism on Ebay, but would like to understand better how you release the locking pins. Was your truck also retrofitted with a cable release or under hood latch to release the hood from the pins?

Since my truck is definitely not stock, I am also considering just installing some hood pins if this mechanism thing doesn't work out.

Thanks,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Junkyard71 View Post
    Hi Nailhead,

Do you have a few pics to show how that works? I found the hood mechanism on Ebay, but would like to understand better how you release the locking pins. Was your truck also retrofitted with a cable release or under hood latch to release the hood from the pins?

Since my truck is definitely not stock, I am also considering just installing some hood pins if this mechanism thing doesn't work out.

Thanks,

Mike
    I recently (in the last day or so) saw a set of the hood latches on ebay. Not the center latch you were asking about, but the ones mounted on the sides of the hood and fenders like the truck is supposed to have. I've also seen our trucks with the later model Jeep latches mounted on them.
    I haven't seen any hood pin kits that are long enough to work on our trucks, it's pretty roomy under there.

Thanks Von. Yeah, the side latches are pretty much available. I've found several sites with them and they are the one thing that is not too expensive.

As far as aftermarket hood pins, I did some scoping and measuring this weekend and you'd definitely need to locate them near the hood bumpers and closer to the fender rather than center of the hood. That seems the only spot where the lengths (~ 4") available might work. They seem to land on a nice spot on the hood too.

Perhaps that, plus a stiffening cross member onto those pre-drilled spots under the hood will prevent me developing "the crack".

Quote Originally Posted by Junkyard71 View Post
    Hi Nailhead,

Thanks,

Mike
    Yeah, I'll get one & post it up.