Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Do I Keep Getting Flat Tires and Other Tire Questions

Angry Why Do I Keep Getting Flat Tires and Other Tire Questions

I just walked about two miles home after getting the second flat tire in a week. Not a puncture, a flat caused by an internal failure of the tube. Yes, I know I need a jack. On the list.

The facts:

- All tires, tubes, flaps are brand-new.
    - All have occurred on the same wheel.
    - Nothing external punctured the tire.
    - The tube seems to be pinching on the interior of the tire (according to the tech at GCR), which I've never heard of before.
    - I'm running 30 front, 35 rear (this wheel is the passenger side front).
    - The truck was aligned a couple months ago, drives straight & true.

Questions:

- Has anyone else had such a problem with a tube pinching & puncturing on the inside of the tire?
    - Would applying baby/talcum powder to the tube prevent this?
    - Where can I have these (multiple expletive deleted) wheels rebuilt for tubeless tires?
    - If a tire isn't marked "Tube Type", can one assume they can be run tubeless? If the answer to this question is "no", then I have to disregard any answers to the previous question: another set of new tires isn't in the budget.

Off to retrieve The Curse and and buy a jack at HF...

Thanks for any help provided, and happy holidays.

Tires are indeed marked "tubeless", so one question answered.

Are the tires radial tires or bias ply? Are the tubes correct for the tire type?

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper View Post
    Are the tires radial tires or bias ply? Are the tubes correct for the tire type?

They’re STA Superlugs. Bias, IIRC. The tubes I got from Summit, and I don’t know what type they may be.

Tubes must match tire type.

Very carefully inspect the inside of the tire, could be you did pick something up, it's just small and not noticable.

When mounting, you could gently inflate the tube, before assembling the rim. Not much just enough to make sure it is centered and wrinkle free.

A little talcum powder could help, but if the tube is catching something, that won't help.

Only place I know that still may do rims for this truck is Stockton wheels.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

I have Superlugs. I keep 50 lbs in them, front and back. Never had a problem yet.
    Thanks for all the help!

As mentioned above, the tubes are whatever Summit sells. I would assume a radial tube would be marked as such, and these weren't.

I have to conclude the techs at GCR checked the interior of the tire for thorns, nails, etc.; I've done all the tire work I ever intend to on motorcycles, so I'm probably not going to have the opportunity to check the interior of the tire.

I checked the Stockton website & they do build up wheels for M715's. I don't like the way they look, however, and wish I could find someone who could competently build up tubeless wheels with the centers out of my split rims.

Thank you for your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by kyken View Post
    I have Superlugs. I keep 50 lbs in them, front and back. Never had a problem yet.
    I had 'em on my Hercules M37 back when they were made by McCreary: never a problem, even from steering with my right foot or being chained up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    - Has anyone else had such a problem with a tube pinching & puncturing on the inside of the tire?
    Had that happen on a bicycle I had when I was 8. dad got tired of buying patches and told me to put some air in it before I put it back together, like 67Smith said.

I had a shop mount mine up, the old man running the show yelled at the boys to hit the insides of the wheels with a buffer wheel to clean them up, said it'd puncture the tube. But mine were really, really bad. Those old tires and tubes were put on when the truck was still in service.

My guess is you have some debris in the tire that is puncturing the tube after installation. I have seen this happen before. Clean the inside of the tire really really good. then check that the flap is also free of sharp pointy things.

You can get radial tubes from Universal Tire. They are thicker than the bias ply tubes.

I pull the valve core and inflate the tube before installation. Reinstall the valve core after the lock ring is installed.

With a duck bill hammer and two lock ring tools it only takes a few minutes to breakdown a tire and put it back together. You can get the tools from kentool. I use a deadblow hammer to seat the ring. Make sure the joint in the lock ring is 180 degrees opposite the valve stem.

FYI: If the tire hasn't been removed for 50 years it might take a little (lot) longer to get it off the wheel.