Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: binfordm715 : The Transformation continues....

Default elwenil :

Re: The Transformation continues....
    Post by elwenil on May 15, 2006, 3:59pm

Apparently it won't hurt anything to run them backwards. Here's a link to the thread at SS:
    http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?n....c&p=51618#51618

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on May 16, 2006, 9:47pm

I have drill this weekend. If I get a chance I'll look at the Hemmets the sister unit has and see how they have mounted the XLs. I'll report back Sunday or Monday.

Default whydah :

Post by whydah on May 17, 2006, 10:51am

bin,
    your truck looks great without any type of highback seat or cage. that is my one regret in having a cage, wish it was easy to pop out.

i have to run one, for safety reasons, but there's nothing like a clean 715 all folded down flat. imagine one on large tires, would even look more unique.

lucky posted a pic (long time ago) of his folded flat roadside in nevada. maybe just windshield up. what a great scene.

Default 40grit :

Post by 40grit on May 18, 2006, 8:59am

Jeff, your truck looks good ( even though I have yet to see it in person, hint, hint)
    my biggest rollbar problem will be I have to park the 715 in my garage, so the rollbar can't be there, so I think I'm going with a "Lucky's Custom Rollbar Factory" rear hoop only, that way I can remove it most of the time, but put at least a hoop in when I try to follow you crazy Jp workers...

As for the tires, wouldn't having them like a tractor, where the rears are "forward" and the fronts "backwards" so you have help backing out, plus it would totally screw up any tread prints left...leaving no way to tell which way the truck went...with one side facing one way and the other side facing the other way as a standard, it would be super easy to tell which way the truck was going...I think those are mounted that way due to mounting them all on the rim the same way, then putting them on the truck means "turning" one side backwards compared to the other side

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on May 18, 2006, 9:49am

That was what one of the guys at SS said. Sounds like a good idea, but as long as the XLs don't pull weird or anything I think I'm just going to run them different side to side so that I can mount them all the same and the spare can go anywhere since I plan to rotate it also to get as much mileage as I can. Both spares if I find another rim, lol.

Default socal715 :

Post by socal715 on May 18, 2006, 10:42am

Quote:
    bin,
    your truck looks great without any type of highback seat or cage. that is my one regret in having a cage, wish it was easy to pop out.

i have to run one, for safety reasons, but there's nothing like a clean 715 all folded down flat. imagine one on large tires, would even look more unique.

lucky posted a pic (long time ago) of his folded flat roadside in nevada. maybe just windshield up. what a great scene.

Im in the same boat..... i just want mine for safety... and figure... i can always pull mine out if i dont like it anymore.... cause you're right... it is so much cleaner without the cage...

Default 919maint :

Post by 919maint on May 18, 2006, 8:56pm

On your tires

We in the Army mount all directional tires forward except on certain items such as Road Graders and such. (stability & directional control on them)

On the Stryker, shown in a picture, they all run forward. On the Buffalo they all run forward, and on HEMTT, we try to run them forward, but we have been using & mixing them with non-directional lately.

Not sure it matter much unless it does to you..

Default whydah :

Post by whydah on May 20, 2006, 2:15pm

Quote:

Quote:
    bin,

Im in the same boat..... i just want mine for safety... and figure... i can always pull mine out if i dont like it anymore.... cause you're right... it is so much cleaner without the cage...

aah, see what i mean? that looks killer! (i'm mildly aroused)

anyways, yes, the flat ability has its advantages

mark,
    you could run larger OD tubes at the bottom, welded to the flat plates, say, 6" up, then have the smaller cage tubes slip into them, 1/2" hole through both and pin it with a large clevis pin or bolt. as long as it is beefy, would be ok strength wise and easy to remove. you would also be the envy of this crowd.

perhaps, getting it running would be cool too.

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on May 21, 2006, 3:55pm

I checked at the armory today and they have the tires all going the same direction for what that's worth.

Default 40grit :

Post by 40grit on May 22, 2006, 8:24am

Quote:

perhaps, getting it running would be cool too.

I could say the same thing about yours, Jeff LOL