Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hummer H1 wheels recentered with M715 wheel centers?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hummer H1 wheels recentered with M715 wheel centers?

I am pretty sure I want to install modified H1 wheels on my truck so I can run tubeless radials. I have purchased a set of wheels to cut the centers out of. I plan to recenter the H1 wheels with these centers.

My first question is will my M715 centers fit the H1 wheels?

My next question is where do I find the H1 wheels?

I have read many old posts from several years ago. Many say the wheels are plentiful and inexpensive. I have yet to find where that is true.

here is one source. I bought 4 H1 bias plys from him a few years ago:
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=882338
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

M715 wheels are 16", Hummer wheels are 16.5

Are you thinking of leaving some material to make the difference up.....it is early and I could be missing something so my apologies in advance if thats the case.

There are at least two different style HMMWV rims. Bolt together 8 stud and bolt together 12 stud. There might have been a 10 stud version, but I am not sure.

The different styles had different run flat inserts, different O-rings for sealing and I think everything else was the same.

The 12 stud is the one everybody wants and they cost a little more on Ebay and such. PM Sermis if you really thing you need to have a set or two.

Whatever style you buy, stock up on the proper Oring for that style, remove the run flats, don't try to mix and match different style parts, buy a 10 pound tub of grease/vasoline/rtv to "help" the oring actually seal and you should be good to go.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I have a set for sale right now. I bought them and was planning to do exactly what you are talking about when a set already made popped up for sale. Mine are a set of 8 bolt beadlocks. I can remove the tires, get you some pics, measurements, etc. I'll PM you the details and my number.

i just saw 24 bolt hummer type rims for sale at iola wi military show
    they had 2 bolts close together then a little bigger space then the next 2
    they looked way cool first time i've seen this type
    i think he said $25 -8 bolt $35-12 bolt $100-24 bolt no inserts
    he had 4 recentered rims ready to go $ 125 each not sure 8 or 12 bolt
    rodney feltz marshfield wi he is some where on this interweb thing

I would drill some holes in the shim stock and spot weld it to the center for some extra security

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper View Post
    I am pretty sure I want to install modified H1 wheels on my truck so I can run tubeless radials. I have purchased a set of wheels to cut the centers out of. I plan to recenter the H1 wheels with these centers.

My first question is will my M715 centers fit the H1 wheels?

My next question is where do I find the H1 wheels?

I have read many old posts from several years ago. Many say the wheels are plentiful and inexpensive. I have yet to find where that is true.
    You can find h1 wheels on Craigslist, ebay, several surplus military parts suppliers, some that just sell military wheels and tires. You havnt looked very hard.

I sanded the old paint off the M715 center. It looks to be made in Canada in 1973 according to the info stamped into it.

And to check the run-out, I rigged a spare axle on my little trailer. I clamped bar stock where needed and proceeded to try and get the rim to turn true.

What I found out is this is probably not worth all the effort it is taking, but I am learning a lot and it will be something I can talk about for a while anyway. I need to figure out an easy way to align the center in the wheel that is repeatable and doesn't take me hours per wheel.

Also I think I should have gotten 1/4"x1" instead of 3/16"x1" steel. That would have allowed me a little more offset. (Or backspace, whatever it is called.) It seems the H1 wheels are slightly tapered inside and the new centers want to go into the rim further than I anticipated.

Another surprise was the area where the weld was on the ring was a little proud. I knew that before I slid the center into the wheel but didn't expect that to cause the wheel to end up off center that much. I ground the weld smooth and the wheel is much closer to round now. (But not perfectly.)

I think I am going to test a stock wheel to see how true it is for run-out so I can get an idea how close I actually need to get these.

Default Humvee rim conversion verus stock 900x16 stock tires

I have a chance to get 5 Humvee rims and tires for $100. My question is do I take a chance of cutting the centers out of the only 4 m715 rims that I have or just save up and get a set of 9.00 16 tires. Another question would centers cut out of flat stock work?
    Fred Gordon
    Frederick, Ok.
    yso_48@yahoo.com