Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6bta getrag 5 speed od

I've got a non-intercooled 12V project in the works and managed to squeeze it in without any lift. It took me 2 tries as I originally wanted a crossmember near the motor mounts but realized this was impossible without a lift. It is close, but preliminary flexing looks like it will work. I have not given up on the crossmember idea yet. I also have the getrag so I swapped out the stock np200 yolks for 1410's (thanks Mikel). You are going to have to fab your drivelines, that is a given, so you might as well get your transfer case mounted where you want it. The transfer case has proven to be the most difficult part of my project so far because of all the angles that are supposed to be just right.

I would like to see some pics of your project!

Ok I'll take some pics... I just got the steering arms back from a machine shop with the ball joint tapers reversed. Had to bend the pitman arm a bit to clear the front of the engine block, I did not see that coming. I did make a beefy cross member, it attaches with the shock mount bolts. I also moved the shock tabs to the top of the axle and used the old engine mounts turned out to mount the wrangler shocks. Used them just because I had them. Relocated the rear shock mounts to the top side of the rear axle as well. Pic's soon, I know they speak volumes.

Default Kaiser before build

Kaiser as it has been for the last 15 years

Default build pics

Dropping in the Cummins

Default 42" iroks

now that snow toys will be stowed for the season, I'll get back to working on the Kaiser. the 6bta from the school bus had a nice big air compressor unit combined with the power steering pump, only problem is it severely conflicts with the steering shaft. I have picked up a PS& vac pump combo that should work just fine. Wanted to run 37-38" rubber, so re-centered some steel 8 lug rims in 16.5"...went big and found some 42" on CL...so now a bit worried about my axles and being able to stop. Figure I'll just keep a good distance back and run the axles till they brake...then replace.