Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M101A1 Trailer Title Question

Unhappy M101A1 Trailer Title Question

I don't know if open discussion is the place to post this but I am having a problem and I was curious what I could do to rectify it.

I bought a M101A1 from a guy. He didn't have a title (it has never been titled in Washington) since he just used it around his farm. No problem, I got a notorized bill of sale from him.

I called the Washington State Patrol, told them what I had, then I set an appointment to get it inspected. He tells me to bring any receipts (I rewired it and some maintenance) and the bill of sale. I get to the inspection and he says I need a form 27 which the Dept of Defense gives the buyer of the trailer to show that it is for road use, not scrap. I go back to the guy I bought it from and it turns out he inherited it from the guy he bought his farm from so no form 27.

I looked into a couple different avenues, the title places online charge $350 to get a title for it which is fine and good but I didn't even spend that for the trailer. I have a friend who lives in Georgia (Georgia doesn't title trailers that are under 2000 lbs) so I sold the trailer to him and he would license it and sell it back to me but they required an inspection too and driving to Georgia would cost more than $350 so that was out.

Does anyone have any ideas here that won't cost an arm and a leg. I thought about buying a homemade trailer with a title, drilling the vin plate off of it, putting it on this trailer and going about my merry way but I am too honest for that and would like to get this done right.

Since I am in Washington, I could drive it down to Oregon (which I hear has some really lax laws on titles and licensing in general) or something like that.

Let me know if anyone has experienced this, I am to the point that I am going to be painting my M715 and I bought enough paint to do the M101A1 too but I don't want to put a lot of $$$ and time into it if I can't ever get it licensed.

Thanks!

broadway title service in birmingham, alabama. 100.00 and you get a legit title.....

If you get stopped, just tell them you borrowed it from your brother who lives in a state that doesn't require titles (licenses) for trailers (like Oklahoma).

What is you state's policy on home made trailers? Do you care if its titled as a 101? Tell them you made it.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
    What is you state's policy on home made trailers? Do you care if its titled as a 101? Tell them you made it.
    Tried that, the grumpy old dude at the inspectors station knows what it is...

Quote Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS View Post
    broadway title service in birmingham, alabama. 100.00 and you get a legit title.....
    Not quite $100 for a trailer:

Trailers: (Up to 1989)
    15 FT and Under $225.00

Definetely better than $350...

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    If you get stopped, just tell them you borrowed it from your brother who lives in a state that doesn't require titles (licenses) for trailers (like Oklahoma).
    Does anyone in Oklahoma want to sell me the trailer that I already own?

Another issue with broadway title company:

>> Due to changes in their title laws, we are unable to due titles in the following states.
    >> Alaska, Alabama, Arkansas, California, Delaware, Hawaii, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky,
    >> Minnesota, Nebraska, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Washington under ANY
    >> circumstances.

Notice the misspelling on the 2nd due too, lol

Texas doesn't require tags or title for trailers with a gross weight less than 5,000 pounds unless it is for commercial use.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    Texas doesn't require tags or title for trailers with a gross weight less than 5,000 pounds unless it is for commercial use.
    Hmmm, anyone in Texas want to sell me my trailer? lol

I found a licensing place that will do it for $150 supposedly but I am looking into the Washington State issues....