Thread: another 3/4 ton trailer and m715 question

Default another 3/4 ton trailer and m715 question

Has anybody out there checked to see if the rear HUB from a m-715 will fit the 3/4 ton trailer there by allowing the truck and trailer to go with one spare and not use the adaptor? I have the spare m-715 hubs, Just not healthy enough to do the work to check it out.
    Last edited by boghog; May 14th, 2007 at 02:11 PM. Reason: additions

That is a good question. I do not know the answer to it though. I do have both a M715 and a M37 here in my class right now. I just walked up to them and compared the outside dimensions of the front and rear hubs. The M715 front is way bigger and the rears aren't close either.

Since the 101 trailer series is based on M37 stuff, that leads me to think a straight hub to hub swap will not work. Now, could you find a bearing with the same inner race as a 101 wheel bearing and the same outter race as the M715 hub? I would imagine that could be done allowing you to make a set of hubs that would work. You had better get 3 or 4 sets of those bearings if you ever find them though for spares and your e-brakes on the trailer will no longer work either.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Barrman, Can you tell me what size the brakes are on the 3/4 ton. Thats what I was thinking, swap the hubs, understanding that there maybe a bearing issue, and wondering if the backing plates could fit, there by also using M-715 shoes, and rim/spare.
    I dont mind the trailer being a bit away from stock, But the truck I want to haul it with I want as stock as I can keep it.

I have not yet started on the one Im going to restore, Im working, when I can on the one Im modifying, still in the back of my mind are two issues for the stock truck. one is the small cats eye tail lights, and the second being the brake master cylinder, both safety items.

It has been very helpful having a clean stock truck in the next bay of the barn, and being able to check measurements, item locations, and several other things while building up the first, for more of a daily driver.
    After sandblasting this first one and finding where to look for hidden damage, I now look at the truck I call my cream puff and can see where to check for possible problems.

Its also been very helpful and motivating when you guys post up the new pics of the fresh paint on the trucks.
    Thanks for your input
    Dennis

The adaptor is a whole lot less work than changing the hubs and accomplishs the goal of using the same tire/wheel on both the truck and trailer.

why not just find a stock 715 rear axle and throw it under the trailer...be easier than fabbing hub conversions and axle should be super easy to find cheap...only need the housing and hubs, pull the diff and the axle shafts, weld a little cap over the pinion hole, change the perches if needed, done...

I played along with the basic idea you proposed because it was novel and sounded neat. But, Kwai is right. AB Linn has sets of adaptors on E-Bay about every other month or so. I have seen them from other sources as well. That was the military's solution to the problem and like most everything else they did, it was over built and works.

Now, if you just want to tinker then go ahead.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Thats true about being overbuilt. I was just a little concerned about three lug nuts holding on the rim. But if it worked for them it will work for me. Thanks.