Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Troop seats.

Quote Originally Posted by k8icu View Post
    I think you all so get on that and get them then have Timmah (aka Binford) make the wood for them...
    Could do.... I'd use cedar deck boards (5/4 x 4" [1 x 3-1/2" actual]) the next time around though and plane them down to size (3/4 x 3"). My neighbor says he won't let me abuse his equipment with that rough-sawn oak crate wood anymore!

Cedar isn't as dense or strong as oak, but it would be supported every 43 inches, so it would do fine as troop seat slat material. Plus it would last a good long time in the outdoors, especially painted. I'm going to be making up a set pretty soon to see how they work. I shall report back and include what my neighbor would charge for the work.

One note on those M35 metal brackets though... Perhaps 503m715 will chime in, but I believe he said the seat supports--the part that goes from the edge of the seat portion diagonally down to the floor when the seat is down (the long parts of the brackets in the upper right of your picture) needs to be either cut or lengthened to fit the M715.
    Last edited by Binford; January 1st, 2007 at 11:47 PM.
    -- Tim Taylor

I would think that part would need to be shorten to fit in a M715 otherwise the seat will be on an angle.

I think you dont paint cedar! The point of this thread is theres more than one way too skin a BOB-cat.

Paint them if you want, or don't! Stock troop seat slats were painted though. Personally I'm not painting mine as I like the contrast of the wood. If I decide to paint them later, I can. Kind of hard to do the reverse though!

Most of the seat brackets I got from 503m715 were from an M35 too. Since those are so common, it's a fantastic way to go! I just mentioned there might be a slight modification to do to them. I agree, Joe, that they "should" need shortening, but I can almost swear he had to add some length to them. Dunno....
    -- Tim Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by vrod02 View Post
    I think you dont paint cedar! The point of this thread is theres more than one way too skin a BOB-cat.

Enough pointed comments about Bob. If you have a problem with him personally, keep it to yourself. If you have a problem with him professionally, don't buy anything from him. It's that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    Paint them if you want, or don't! Stock troop seat slats were painted though. Personally I'm not painting mine as I like the contrast of the wood. If I decide to paint them later, I can. Kind of hard to do the reverse though!

Most of the seat brackets I got from 503m715 were from an M35 too. Since those are so common, it's a fantastic way to go! I just mentioned there might be a slight modification to do to them. I agree, Joe, that they "should" need shortening, but I can almost swear he had to add some length to them. Dunno....
    Using the one true 715 seat upright and leg section that I got with mine, the seats should sit with a little up angle on them. Out of the 5 m35 uprights I used, only one had to have about 1/2" trimmed off the bottom to match up. The rest where right on. There used to be a great set of pics from Hondo in the members section about the stock radio set up that showed the angle on the seats. It also showed that the radio bracket had an angle on it to bring the radio up and level on the seat.

Dave
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M715 weapons carrier:http://www.davidallenracing.com/M715.htm
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M35a2 2.5 ton cargo truck: http://www.davidallenracing.com/M35A2.htm
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.i2k.com/~schwarzd/

Default troop seat brackets

I had to lengthen the 4 outside seat legs and shorten the 2 middle legs.In the picture of seat hardware you have, it looks like you will need to add length to your outside upright pieces. They need a longer length to fit in the stake pocket. If you need the measurements, I can get them for you. I offered you a set with all the hard work done for a lot less than you paid for these.

Luckily, the set I got, the corner pieces were longer, like the middle ones in the above pic. I only had to shorten one middle one down to 715 lenght, as the other middle one I had was actually from a 715.

Dave
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M715 weapons carrier:http://www.davidallenracing.com/M715.htm
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M35a2 2.5 ton cargo truck: http://www.davidallenracing.com/M35A2.htm
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.i2k.com/~schwarzd/

Not Binfords but welded,cut, installed 5/4 2 3/4 ripped in 3 hours."its just a farm truck"!. less than 2 hundy.