Thread: need help with insurance

Default need help with insurance

Just got off the phone with my insurance company trying to insure my deuce and they said they couldn't since it used to be military. I told him that they hadn't had any problem taking my money before on the 715 so he looked to see how they wrote it up, turned out it wasn't done correctly. Now I have no insurance and need some to keep the "authorities" from writing a ticket and towing them. If you have insurance with someone your pleased with please steer me their way.

Thanks
    Ronnie

I just read an article on this very topic in JP mag. Seems several people tell the insurance company too much. Rather than saying it's an "M blah, blah, blah", just tell them it's a 1967 Kaiser Jeep pickup truck or a AMC General 2 1/2 ton truck.
    I think if you sliced it thin enough it may be a sin of ommision than commision.

That is what I did on the 715 made it out as a J20 but the deuce is a little harder since the vin doesn't come up as being a good number for any vehicle.

I have AAA and no problems insuring the 715. Since I finally hit 30 my insurance is dirt cheap for my mustang and 715.

I got mine through state farm. No issues, but it could also be the agent.
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

State Farm on the M37 ,full coverage including glass and towing ,$ 15.40 a month.

DJ
    DaveJ

I usually have 5 or 6 vehicles plus my house & trailer insured by State Farm at any one time and have had for years so they will do pretty much whatever I want them to.
    But...
    I still don't strain them too much when I bring home odd ball stuff. Minimum information only. I don't lie, but if I (make that when) get a deuce I'll just tell them it is a 2 1/2t Kiaser truck & give them the vin - what they do at that point is up to them.
    BTW, the VIN for your 715 wouldn't have come up any more than one for the deuce. Pressure them about losing all your business & see if they fold.

My $.02

State Farm here. No problem with 715 or deuce.

Thanks guys. I found out a buddy of mine knows an agent for state farm so i'm going over tomorrow.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Here's been my experience:

I used Geico for years and insured the 715 with them no problem. THe VIN came up and they knew what it was, or at least what it wasn't which is a regular Jeep pickup. At any rate it is insured as a 67 Jeep M715 and costs nearly nothing to insure.

I called them about insuring my Deuce and they immediately knew, again by the VIN, that is wasn't a regular run of the mill truck. That, and they don't insure any trucks over a certain gross weight. They did refer me to a small insurance company in Ohio, called American Collector Car Insurance, who did insure it for $135 a year, with a 3,000 mile limit. I can haul anything, and I did have to provide a pic of it in a locked building (my shop). Works for me, because I generally don't put that many miles on anyway and it does end up in the shop quite a bit....

I would advise you be fairly forthright with the agent for a couple reasons:

1) If it is stolen or damaged, and the adjuster comes out to look at it, they may deny the claim if it isn't what you said it was.

2) (this happened to a customer of mine) You insure it as a low-value 2-1/2 ton truck and set the value at say $1000.00. It gets stolen or damaged . You get a check for $1000.00 and nothing more. As I am sure you are aware you have a lot more in the truck.

3) Finally, the bodily injury coverage for cheap value vehicles is usually not enough to cover a days' stay in the hospital for the person that you could potentially run over and squash with your 13,000 lb truck.

Just a few things to keep in mind.......
    Last edited by randyscycle; August 18th, 2009 at 09:41 PM.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™