Thread: inline fuel pump question(s)

Default inline fuel pump question(s)

it was a warm day, and after being on the trails all day it made me want to wrench a little. after an investment in two new batteries and a new ignition switch i was able to get the motor to turn over.

problem: no fuel getting to the carb

the tank is missing... and i was trying to have it suck fuel from a 5 gal can... does the system need to be pressurized in order to move the fuel (ie would i have to tape the hose to the 5gal can in order to seal it?) or do i need to prime the system somehow?

ideally i'd love to get a auxiliary take from the farm store and an inline fuel-pump from NAPA and call it a day, but it would also be nice to know if the motor will fire up before i invest any more $$$.

so if i were to go the aux. tank/inline-pump route, how do i bypass the mechanical pump on the motor?

when I bought mine it had an inline pump bolted to the inner fender-well, it had the incoming line from the tank (in your case the GI can) pulled off the mechanical pump and the "out" (to the carb) plugged into the other side. I moved the pump down low by the tank and had to pull the line by the carb off for the pump to prime the line. I also added 2 inline fuel filters.
    Hope that helps.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by pamuddyjeep View Post
    it was a warm day, and after being on the trails all day it made me want to wrench a little. after an investment in two new batteries and a new ignition switch i was able to get the motor to turn over.

problem: no fuel getting to the carb

the tank is missing... and i was trying to have it suck fuel from a 5 gal can... does the system need to be pressurized in order to move the fuel (ie would i have to tape the hose to the 5gal can in order to seal it?) or do i need to prime the system somehow?

ideally i'd love to get a auxiliary take from the farm store and an inline fuel-pump from NAPA and call it a day, but it would also be nice to know if the motor will fire up before i invest any more $$$.

so if i were to go the aux. tank/inline-pump route, how do i bypass the mechanical pump on the motor?
    Stock 230? The bottom "bowl" part of my mechanical fuel pump on my last truck was full of gunk and wouldn't pump fuel fast enough. I took it all apart and clean it out, put it back together and voila! Fixed.

I don't think the system needs to be pressurized. As long as the intake hose is submerged and you don't have any air leaks in the fuel lines, it should work. Maybe try sitting the tank up above the motor somewhere to help it out.
    1967 M715 w/w #11812

Quote Originally Posted by chicklin View Post
    Stock 230? The bottom "bowl" part of my mechanical fuel pump on my last truck was full of gunk and wouldn't pump fuel fast enough. I took it all apart and clean it out, put it back together and voila! Fixed.

I don't think the system needs to be pressurized. As long as the intake hose is submerged and you don't have any air leaks in the fuel lines, it should work. Maybe try sitting the tank up above the motor somewhere to help it out.
    good to know... truck's been sitting for god knows how long... at least a year since i had it... a year or two in the yard of the guy i got it from... and maybe a year at some other guy's place before then.

i am happy it at least turned over

i'll try and pull the pump off tomorrow and see what i can see.

I don't know this first hand, but have read many posts where the diaphram in the stock pump dries up and allows fuel into the crankcase. Just a quick heads up since it has been sitting a while.