Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M101 and M105 hooked to M715 Pictures

Default M101 and M105 hooked to M715 Pictures

This comes up every now and then. Which trailer fits behind the M715? What do you have to do to pull them? Stuff like that.

To explain the pictures I need to point out that my M715 is wearing Michelin XZL 11.00-16 tires. These tires are about 4 inches taller than the stock NDT 9.00-16 tires. That translates to the pintle hook being about 2 inches taller than stock.

This is a M101A2 3/4 ton trailer. The A2 version has 8 lug bolt pattern hubs on it with surge hydraulic brakes. This trailer is currently wearing 37 x 12.5 x 16.5 Goodyear Wrangler tires on HMMVE two piece rims. (Straight bolt on with no spacers needed. I did have to redo the mount of the e-brake cable housing to its most rear setting though.) These are temporary until I paint another set of rims and put 36" bias ply Wranglers on it. (I need the trailer shorter so the Suburban can pull it if needed.)
    [IMG][/IMG]

The trailer is just a hair down in the back with the 37" tires on it as you can see. However, there is no stick out on the sides, it pulls great and basically doubles the cargo area of the rig. Oh, a M101A1 trailer has the 5 lug M37 bolt pattern 16" rims. That means a set of Michelin tires will go on real easy and make the entire rig level and you only need to carry a single spare.

Then you have the M105A3 trailer. This is a 1-1/2 ton trailer meant to be pulled behind Dueces and 5 ton trucks. While I picked up the lunette end of the 101 and pulled the trailer about 50 feet out of my class room yesterday. It hurts to try and push the M105 a few inches to line the hitch up. The 101 is about 1300 pounds empty. The 105 is about 2400 empty.

The M105 is set up with hydraulic brakes that are air driven. Bigger trailer and no way for a M715 or normal pick up truck to use the brakes. This trailer is wearing the stock 9.00-20 tires most M35's came with. Those tires are exactly the same higth as the XZL tires on my M715 by the way.

You will notice in the picture that the trailer is a little low in the front. This is after I flipped the lunette ring over which raised the front of the trailer 4". Add in the 2" higher my pintle hook is and you can see that a stock M715 or pick up truck pulling a M105 is going to look a little goofy.
    [IMG][/IMG]

You can also see it makes the M715 look kind of small.

However, the 105 is going to be my command tent for this weekends Camporee and it pulls great behind the M715 too. Stops just have to be planned ahead like usual.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Hey Tim,

Where's the quarter for size prespective? Or a pic with the trailers in the Duece?

Have a great time at the Camporee this weekend.
    Live like you will die tomorrow. Dream like you will live forever!!!

I was trying to just keep it simple M715 related tech. Besides, everybody here knows how big a M715 is.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Have you thought of trying to put a surge brake from the m101? Might help the 715 out a little.

GOOD INFO!!

It sounds like the M101A2 3/4 ton trailer w surge brakes is the best option for an M715.

Q: Did any of these military trailers ever come with 6x7.25 bolt pattern wheels?
    (It would be nice to carry just the one spare tire/rim....)

Q: Has anyone ever adapted electric trailer brakes to a military trailer??
    "Bear"
    '67 M715 #11133

The trailers did not come with the M715 pattern.

If you really needed the bigger trailer behind your Jeep I wonder if you could go spring under and have an adjustable shackle that would change your ride height from the 715 back to the duece height?

Good Info!

Ive been wondering which trailer to look for to put behind my M715.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    GOOD INFO!! Q: Has anyone ever adapted electric trailer brakes to a military trailer??
    Here is a recent thread about it:

M101a1 Electric Brakes?
    DP

Man invented the slowest form of transportation - the sailboat, Then decided to race them.

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    The trailers did not come with the M715 pattern.
    When he said you only need to carry one spare, I think he meant a spare inner tube. Barrman?
    -- Tim Taylor