Thread: BJ's Off Road Alum Cross Flow Radiator

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question BJ's Off Road Alum Cross Flow Radiator

Does BJ's 1974-1991 FSJ Alum Crossflow Radiator fit into a 67 M715 radiator support?

If not , what modifications are necessary to make it fit / and - or does someone else offer an aluminum radiator that fits / performs is better?

I have a GM Engine to contend with as well.

Please advise,

Coop

Coop, don't know if this will help but here goes, For minimal modification to the Rad support I bought a 3 row unit for a chevy 396 BB and except for elongating a couple of holes for mounting, its pretty much a drop in. I'm using it to cool a 350 sbc and although it's not aluminum or crossflow, if it'll cool a 396-it'll cool an sbc.
    If you're pretty good with fabing you can gently remove the passenger side rad support bracket and move it over a few inches to allow for a wider install. I don't know the exact dimensions it would provide but probably close to 2.5 inches gained latteraly.
    Although I don't have any first hand experience with aluminum radiators several others have expressed concerns with the brittle nature of aluminum and it's lack of flex. I had originally considered aluminum myself until hearing their arguments about cracking one during offroading. Sounded reasonable to me...
    Anyway, don't know if that really helps but maybe someone else will post up and give you more to go on. Tracy

To fit an FSJ radiator, you typically need to move the passenger side radiator support over...the truck has a narrow position, which the M715 uses stock, and a wider position, that some other applications use...have to cut part of the flat front wall out and weld the support back in after moving it.

You also need to cut out the top piece...the one in front of the top of the radiator...the factory chopped about 2 inches out of that piece so the radiator could sit forward into that area.

If you look at an FSJ in a junkyard, you can see thats what the actory did...and the cut on the top front panel is usually somewhat crude...looks like it was cut with an angle grinder and never smoothed out...