Thread: Temp Gauge

Default Temp Gauge

I noticed that my temp gauge jumps from cold to max instantly after driving for a few minutes. I know the engine isn't overheating and the reading is incorrect. Could it be a bad sensor on the thermostat or a bad gauge? How do you go about diagnosing?
    I drove for over an hour today in 1st gear in 90 degree temps and no overheating. It would be nice to have an accurate temp though.
    Ray
    67 M725 & 83 FJ60

Sounds like a faulty sending unit, you can test it with a multi meter set to ohms. Should be about 3000 ohms cold, 1200 ohms @ 160 degrees, 917 ohms @ 180 degrees and 450 ohms @ 240 degrees. Disconnect the wire from the sending unit, attach one lead to the pin on the sending unit and the other to ground. I would check it cold and at normal operating temp.
    Last edited by m38inmaine; May 29th, 2018 at 12:57 AM.

Default Temp Gauge Follow up

I tried to follow your instructions but I am not sure my Multimeter is fancy enough to give me the correct reading. I set it at 20K and I got a reading of 4.16 at cold. I am guessing that is 4100? I touched the positive to the sending unit and the negative to the fuse box on the firewall. As I moved the lead on the sending unit, the reading kept changing. I am going to try it with the truck warmed up to see if it makes a difference. I know the gauge is working, it is just not accurate as it goes from 0 to max pretty quick.
    Ray
    67 M725 & 83 FJ60

You want to put the positive lead to the pin on the sending unit and the negative lead to the engine block.

I am pretty sure that it is the Sending unit. The Ohms kept dropping as the car was warming up. I did also ground the wire to the sending unit and it sent the needle on the gauge to max. Do you know where I can find a sending unit?
    Ray
    67 M725 & 83 FJ60

The ohms are suppose to drop as it's heating up. Check the ground on the gauge.