Thread: 1997 ford 351 conversion

Default 1997 ford 351 conversion

I am beginning to see why not many people use ford engined for conversions. The aftermarket availability is terrible, and they are not very friendly with parts interchangability.

Has anyone ever done this conversion? I have an entire 1997 f350 that I wI'll be taking the axles from, but the engine runs good and it has a new transmission, so I would love to use all of the drivetrain if possible.
    Conversion parts and information for these is lacking.

What do you need to "convert"? Between Novak and Advanced, you should be able to get about anything, motor mounts are not hard to build from scratch. Wiring harness/computer you may need to send out or buy someone's kit...
    Is that real money?

Not to discourage you because its a hell of a first time read....

But heres your stand-alone wiring harness directions for 351W
    https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ness-pics.html
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Or I assume there is a "carb" intake available and you could bolt on a stand alone throttle body EFI setup and a generic truck harness....
    Is that real money?

I was mostly referring to the wiring harness/computer connections as well as getting the E4od transmission to work right.

I will check out that link, thank you. I am not new to building and converting my own fuel injection harness, but I was hoping I wasn't the first to attempt it in the m715.

I would really like to stick with fuel injection, so a carb is really last resort. Plus I don't know what signals the transmission relies on.
    Since I will hopefully be using the factory paired engine/transmission/transfer case I will not have to worry about adaptors. I do have a line on a blown 302 ford fuel injected boat motor for cheap. The fuel injection in boats is stripped down and simplified and is stand alone controls. The computer mounts right to the engine. I wonder if it would work well in a truck...

The fabrication stuff I can handle, so I am not too worried about the mounting/installation aspect of it all.

You've got the whole truck...can't you use the stock harness and computer? Maybe shorten some wires here and there, and get rid of power window circuits...

Like Ray said, what are you trying to convert?

Oh, yeah, one Ford peculiarity- you'll have to keep the gauge cluster. The trans gets its signal from there. Look up "PSOM". And the speed sensor is in the top of the rear diff.

Quote Originally Posted by Subybaja View Post
    Oh, yeah, one Ford peculiarity- you'll have to keep the gauge cluster. The trans gets its signal from there. Look up "PSOM". And the speed sensor is in the top of the rear diff.
    ... the Demon Murphy in hiding.

I love my carbs even more now.

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    ... the Demon Murphy in hiding.

I love my carbs even more now.
    Yeah, being able to drive with a bucket of gas strapped to the hood, dripping into the engine, is definitely a plus. (Seriously. Simple like hammer.)

But so is 11mpg at 85mph on 37s under a dumpster.