Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning far in advance.....

Default Planning far in advance.....

Well, my 725 is up and running well. Timing has been taken care of- 12 degrees, instead of the 35+ it was set at. Carb all adjusted. It will quickly get up to a very loud 55+, and it doesn’t take three miles to get it there.
    Talking with my mechanic, we have discussed about a time, when the engine will get to old, and what to focus on replacing it with. I know there are a lot of opinions on this- get another tornado, sbc, 4bt, 6bt, ect......
    Just so you know how it is used- it is a semi daily driver. I work around a 15 mi radius in my town. I try to avoid the highways, although, making 55 mph, I’m tempted. I use it as a tool truck, to haul around slightly less than a 1/2 ton of tool and materials.
    I am trying not to plan for anything fancy, hopefully just a engine and possible tranny swap.
    Questions:
    4bt enough power?
    What would you put in?

Small block Chevy is the easiest, quickest and probably the cheapest way to go. Because there are kits, lots of people have done it and written about it along with just the engine, exhaust and radiator are messed with.

I went big block Chevy on mine when the rear main oil seal was more of a water fall of oil maker instead of a seal. I also went NV4500 overdrive transmission at the same time. It was great! I once got 12 mpg on a long 400 mile all day drive. Most of the time I got around 8-9 mpg.

When my 396 broke I decided to go diesel. 6BT sounds so great until you look at the prices. If the prices of admission doesn't bother you. Look at every post Mikel from New Hampshire has ever made and maybe even send him a PM. He has done several with great results.

4BT engines aren't much if any cheaper than a 6BT. They are just a slight bit easier to fit in the truck, maybe.

Being a too many projects at one time teacher. I went with a HMMWV pull out 6.2 diesel in my truck. Same motor mounts and bellhousing as the Chevy gas engine. I really do not notice the difference from less power because with the stock axle gears. More power just has you shifting sooner without much more speed gained by the time you get to 4th or 5th gear. I do like the never been below 13.8 mpg for any tank in the 6 years I have had the engine in the truck with a best of 17 mpg one road trip.

Any of the 3 diesels mentioned red line around 3200-3600 rpm. Which means without overdrive or different axle ratios swapped in. The truck will still be limited to around 60 mph top speed. Also, you mentioned the very noisy 55 mph of your truck. A good bit of that noise is the transfer case. If you plan to run more than 48 mph which is about 2500 rpm in 4th gear, the NP200 will probably overheat on you after about 30-45 minutes of constant running.

Just things to think about.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Where in NJ are you? There are several repowered M715s in CT you are welcome to come check out.

The problem with diesel engines -and particularly low-revving, narrow RPM range engines such as the 4BT/6BT - is that to get the most of the engine, the entire drivetrain has to be changed. Then you have the much higher cost of diesel fuel...

You have lots of options, all with their pros and cons.
    Last edited by Mikel; January 4th, 2019 at 12:19 PM.

Sorry I got your location wrong Mikel. I knew it had a NEW in it though and guess wrong.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I’m outside of Philly.

You know my take.....Chevy "LS"....There is a reason they are swapped into everything.....
    Is that real money?

Going back to the original discussion. It sounds like the truck is only driven a moderate amount, not very far and not very fast.

In that case, the most cost-effective solution may be to put a gas V8 of your choice (perhaps with its mated 2WD OD trans), a power steering box and brake booster. These would give you a great increase in driveability at a moderate cost.
    Last edited by Mikel; January 5th, 2019 at 01:13 PM.

I am starting to lean that way. Although skipping the power steering. What is a brake booster? I did put in a dual master cylinder, for added safety.
    I actually like how it drives. It reminds me of being a kid, back on the farm, driving tractors and old cars.
    Is there a near bulletproof v8 set up you would go for? I would like it to spend more time on the road than in the shop. I would like to stay gen 1 for various reasons. If you had the means and money to do this, would you just replace the engine or do a full swap out- engine, tranny, transfer?

Oh and yes, you were spot on. I only drive it in a 15 mi radius from my house. Mostly on town roads with 25-50 mph speed limits.
    I have started a handyman business, and the 725 makes a great tool hauler. I drive it on average, about three days a week.(I can hear the laughing out there- I can fix houses, I’m just learning about cars.)
    I have been thinking about some kind of v8, NV4500, np205 (divorced?) and hub locks. Would this be a good long(er) lasting set up, relatively inexpensive. I’d like to keep the four wheel aspect, but maybe not full time.
    I am asking on here, because a lot of you have vastly more mechanical experience and knowledge, than me- if you had had got the chance to do one of these as a low maintence, rock solid, bullet proof daily work- moving job site to job site- what would you put in it?