Thread: Penalty for Unautherized Use of Vehicle decal

Default Penalty for Unautherized Use of Vehicle decal

Seen this on the dash of a US Army CJ3B.
    Can't make much of it out, anyone have a better picture of one?

I don't have the decal, and I don't remember seeing one of them.

However ... I "May" have been guilty of occasionally using a vehicle "Unauthorizedly" from time to time

I might have one on my Airforce bus. Will check when I get home.

Hey Don, my buddy and I stole an APC, tank, and huge front end loader and took them all out for boonie hopping on the tank trails. Guess we didn't know what the word "unauthorized" meant. At one point we actually jumped in a chopper and got the rotor spinning! Ah to be 18 and fearless again.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    Hey Don, my buddy and I stole an APC, tank, and huge front end loader and took them all out for boonie hopping on the tank trails. Guess we didn't know what the word "unauthorized" meant. At one point we actually jumped in a chopper and got the rotor spinning! Ah to be 18 and fearless again.
    And ... When I was in Blanding, UT, I took an M474 Pershing missile carrier, which was built on the chassis of an M113 APC, out into the Mesa. It had a Chrysler "B" block engine in it; don't know the CID. There were juniper trees all over the place. I lined up on a small one of them and went full speed ahead. The bloody thing would go 40 MPH!! As the tree approached (Or was it as "I" approached the tree???), it just got closer and closer and POOF!, disappeared! Imagine that? It was flat and behind me.

So, emboldened by that "success", I took on another larger adversary. I lined up on it and as I approached, it climbed up the tree and the engine stalled. Of course, that made my heart start pounding. And as luck would have it, the darn thing had a "hot-start" problem. I thought, "Oh crap, what do I do now?" Well, after sitting there for a few minutes, it did start and I put the thing away.

This is me in the M474. Mind you, the Programmer Test Station and Power Station were not mounted on the thing when I was driving it. I was not THAT irresponsible. For that matter, I may have been driving a warhead carrier (with no warhead of course!) which was very light when empty. I would have just turned 21 in this picture.

I also drove the Dodge 22-Passenger bus much of the time. Mind you , none of these things were on my SF46.

More reading:

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling.../t/157934.aspx

http://www.coldwar.org/articles/50s/...g_missiles.asp

I'd like to think we're older and wiser now. Definitely older!
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Cool pic and great story!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I have never seen those decals referenced in any of the military markings info. Makes me wonder if may be they came from Civil Defense.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    I have never seen those decals referenced in any of the military markings info. Makes me wonder if may be they came from Civil Defense.
    Hmmm, that is something to consider? Could be. For that matter, I don't remember the "A Safe Driver" decal in any of our trucks in 1969-70. But there are slight pieces of one in my truck in Florida.

Interesting, and I would like to follow it and see how it comes out. That could be a cool conversation piece (along with an M1A in the holder ).

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    I'd like to think we're older and wiser now. Definitely older!
    I hope so ... but I may not be completely convinced.

Seriously, I really wish that I were more mature when I was in the army. I hated it. I could not wait to get out. But today, I understand more. I have a lot of admiration for our members of service. We had some A-Holes as NCOs at times. But being in the Ordinance part of the Pershing 1 Missile, we had intelligent people who were great to work for and with. I just think of some of them today. I was very fortunate to have mustered out as an SP5.

Just sayn' ...