Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spare Wheel Holder Question

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    That is a gorgeous truck.
    Thanks

I don't know. I think I saw a speck of dust on the left fuel tank strap....

Really nice looking truck!

Nailhead, I forget what size tires you are running. The stock tires fit the spare mount perfectly. Anything wider or taller will not fit no matter how long you make that single hold bolt. Moving the round cross member forward though will allow up to 38" tall tires to fit if the arms for the bracket are lengthened a bit.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

This is what Fisherman did:
    fisherman : Xl spare tire mounting with pictures

I hope this works, lol.

edit: Dang, it looks like the photos have been moved.
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    I don't know. I think I saw a speck of dust on the left fuel tank strap....

Really nice looking truck!

Nailhead, I forget what size tires you are running. The stock tires fit the spare mount perfectly. Anything wider or taller will not fit no matter how long you make that single hold bolt. Moving the round cross member forward though will allow up to 38" tall tires to fit if the arms for the bracket are lengthened a bit.
    I'm sticking with 9.00-16's. They look right.

I'm still wondering how you keep the wheel on the holder arm while you raise it. Like I said, It looks like a balancing act for one person, one I'd get sick of in a hurry.

I've done on the side of the road. Plus a few times at home. It really isn't that bad. I have learned to use a floor jack to raise the tire/rack as far as it can travel and then standing up. I lift the rack the rest of the way and slide it onto the bolt.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    I have learned to use a floor jack to raise the tire/rack as far as it can travel and then standing up. I lift the rack the rest of the way and slide it onto the bolt.
    Yep, I did the same. Otherwise this old timer could not balance it and lift it at the same time. If I ever need to do it on the road, I'm in deep crap!
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

I just want to have somewhere to store the bulky thing day-to-day. Like I said, the M37 had a -poor (IMHO) solution to that problem, one that I never adopted.

If I get a flat, I'll throw the dead one in the bed while I search for a repair, otherwise it'll be stowed under the bed, out of sight and out of mind.

This is what I did in my truck, using a strap winch. It is still a dirty affair to lift the tire into its home, but it can easily be done using a 10" ratchet. Making the rim line up with the two 1/2" threaded rods is a bit tricky
    But it is a must for a 200lb HMMWV rim/tire/runflat. It would balance better if the tire was upside down, but I wanted access to the valve stem from underneath.

Last edited by Mikel; October 24th, 2016 at 06:53 PM.

That's a great idea.