Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Towing an M715

NewTex Guest

Default Towing an M715

Has anyone here ever towed an M715, using an A frame type tow hitch on the front of the 715, with a 1/2 ton pickup and a ball hitch?

Trying to figure the cheapest way to get my new toy home, about 40 miles>

NewTex

It an be done...take it real easy on hills and hopefully have a goo amount of weight in the bed of the tow vehicle.

I towed mine with a 3/4 ton van...gets a little wiggly back there around 55-60...so take it easy.

And MAKE SURE you back off the adjustment of the brakes ALOT!

Long story...expensive too....

NewTex Guest

Thank you brute4c. What you experienced is sort of what I was concerned about. Maybe easier on the nerves and cheaper in the long run to get someone with a trailer to haul it.

NewTex

Where are you picking it up from? Going 45 or so you should be ok except for that down hill curve by the bridge near Bend.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I towed my truck from Corpus Christi to Camp wood and back again with a homemade towbar with a 2 5/16 ball. It was towed behind my 2002 1500 GMC with tow package. Didn't even know it was back there except pulling out of parking lots, had to make wide turns. I set the cruise at 65 and just drove. Just disconnect both drive shafts and if you have the stock steering box disconnect the steering linkage and you will be fine.

I also towed one over 400miles from Tennesse to NC using a 2000 Yukon XL. Also with a homemade towbar. The only problem I had with that one was one of the tires on the M715 lossened up on me and almost came off. So make sure you check the torq on the lugs.

NewTex Guest

Picking it up from just east of Star. Going West on the 84 through Goldthwaite, West on 16 to FM500.

NewTex

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

My question about flat-towing an M is whether after a long haul, it would do any damage to the transmission?

The transfer would have enough lube being splashed that it shouldn't matter, but how about the tranny? The cluster gear wouldn't be turning in neutral, backdriven by the output shaft (if I remember correctly) and therefore wouldn't be churning the lube up into the rest of the gears and bearings....

N. Liberty Iowa- 41deg 44' 48" N, 91deg 36' 36.4" W

If you shift the t-case to neutral for towing; the trany wouldn't be turning right?
    M-715's as big as FSJ's come

With the drive shafts disconnected there shouldn't be problem.

The trans doesnt turn when the tcase is in neutral...but both axles are connected to the tcase through the shafts and will cause drag.

The way I tow, I have the Selectros up front to turn off the front axle gear drag and I have plates that bolt to the axle studs...so I pull the rear axle shafts, put these plates on, and stop the rear axle too.