Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally posted all my pics

Default Finally posted all my pics

I finally got around to posting all the 500+ pics of the (slooooow) progress on my truck.
    http://www.angrym715.shutterfly.com

So far there are 5 albums showing:
    -The beginning condition of the truck ("honey, I am just putting it in the garage for a few days to work on the brakes....")
    -The cab repair including:
    -Rocker panels (inner/outer)
    -Floor panels
    -Center tunnel
    -Rear crossmember
    -Lower part of the back of the cab
    -Cab corners
    -Lower door posts
    I tried to organize them a little but a few may be out of place. Anyway, I hope somebody can use so pictures of an old rusty truck for something.
    Cheers,
    Brian (and Angry)

LOTS and lots and LOTS of work gone on, in that cab. So in a couple of the pics it said "if you weld here you afre a dumba s s" Did you weld there? Nice work
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Who did you get your new panels from?
    Jeff

Man, that's some impressive body of work (no pun). How long did it take you to do all that? What are your overall plans for the truck?
    I know if I'd done all that work, I'd have it all painted and finished driving along in traffic somebody would throw a rock from a tire, chip the paint and I'd be sittin' in jail for the next 20yrs. for manslaughter! Well...I guess I could plead temporary insanity and show them these pics for defense and get off scott-free....

Thanks.
    Regarding the subtle welding hint to myself, I did not weld there (Right side). That's because I previously welded that area on the left side and spent some time tearing it apart again... I figured a gentle reminder might keep me from doing it again.

I purchased the replacement floor pans and inner/outer rocker panels from Jeepanelsplus. Sheldon is a nice guy to work with but I had to do a lot of work to make the parts fit the way I wanted them to.
    Examples:
    -The floor panels are basically flat 16ga with flanges on 2 sides. Jeepanelsplus rolls some beads in the floor but they are not very deep. I made my own "bead smasher device" to make the beads deeper like the originals. You could probably save a few bucks and make the floors yourself.
    -The inner rockers are a rectangle with flanges on 3 sides. Again, pretty easy to make yourself. To get closer to the original part, I added the 3 drain features. I also modified the inner rocker at the front to make it match the original parts better.
    -The outer rockers are probably worth the money unless you have a sheet metal brake. Jeepanels sent me one set, and I was not happy with the fit. Strangly enough, the previous owner of my truck left me 2 really nice replacement driver's side rockers that fit really well. Since I didn't have the passenger side, I sent the driver's side and the original replacement set back to Jeepanels. I asked them to make me a mirror image of the nice driver's side rocker, and keep the original as a pattern. Like I said before, Sheldon is a really good guy to work with and he did as I asked. The parts he sent back to me still didn't fit the way I wanted, so I ended up splitting the rocker lengthwise, and welding in some material to make it match up with the door, fender and cab corner.

All the other parts I had to sketch, smash, scrap, bend, weld and grind to make myself.

This is my first real rebuild project and I had no welding or metal work experience prior to this, so I am learning as I go (plus I am not all that smart to begin with...). Therefore, it has taken me about 3 years to do this work. If someone was smart and devoted to it, I am sure they could do this much quicker than I did. I treat it as a hobby, so I don't usually get to spend more than a few hours a week working on the truck.
    Someday, I may actually get it on the road. So it can start earning it's keep- "Hey honey, how about letting me get that old Army Truck, so I can pick up stuff from Lowes?..."

-Brian (and Angry)

Oh! to be young again. Brian, your doing very nice work. I can see that when your done you will have a very nice truck.

Fantastic work. I did the exact same to mine and I appreciate the blood, sweat, tears and talent that went into yours.

I used Sheldon's inner/outer rockers and had him make some custom floors. His outer rockers fit well. I had no problems getting them on. He was a great guy to deal with. I've gone to him for all my sheetmetal needs, including making shrouds for some ovens at my workplace
    Last edited by Mikel; November 4th, 2007 at 02:14 PM.

Some pics of mine:

I am completely in awe to the way you recreated the inside rear cab brace. You are an artist! I made a simplified version of that brace for mine. Yours puts it to shame.

You are both artists!!! Can you imagine what some place would charge to do that for you???? I'm impressed.