Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modified turn signals Help, Help, Help, Help...

Default Modified turn signals Help, Help, Help, Help...

Allllrighty then, Got Frankenstein's wiring harness installed to the point of hooking up the parking, running and turn signal/stop lights. I think I have figured out which ones I want to do what. BUT I have converted to 12v of course. The lights I'm using are Gubment issue M35 teardrop style for the rear and the newer more modern looking large orange lenses for the front. They both have the black out lights in the bottoms but these wont be used soooo, anyway I need new bulbs for this mod.

I went down to wally world and my local autoparts store looking for (okay, now go with me here) the large dual element, single contact point on the bottom with the locating/locking pins equal height (low). Same goes for the smaller diameter bulb for the top application with the same base as described above. NO CANNY FIND! Are these bulbs actually out there or what?

The bulbs that are in them are the 24v, these wont work on a 12v system will they? Probably wouldn't illuminate brightly enough if even at all?

I was thinking that I may be able to use a dremmel tool and cut a higher notch in the bulb holder to accomodate the style bulbs I can find but is that really practicle?

Can someone who has done this before please post up and share the solution?Thanks in advance, Tracy

Dual element bulbs should be 1157. You need 1155.

Okay, hey Airborne can you go into that a little more? So I should use single element or what?

If you know the 24 or 12 volt bulb number, use this page to find the new bulb number in the new voltage:

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/pages/man...rsionChart.pdf

Okay, thanks. I found the coresponding #'s and will grab a bunch...shortouts ya know...T

So is it the 1156 number, total guess, or some other?

I went outside and pulled the bulbs, got a magnifying glass and heres what I found:
    Front Running Lights/signals:

Large bulb(24v) #1683[12v equivolent #1156]
    Small bulb (24v) #623 [12v equivolent #631]
    Rear Large bulb (24v) #1683[12v eq. #1156]
    Small bulb (24v) #1251[12v eq. #67]

The difference in the rear smaller bulbs is the rear uses a dual element. At least thats what was installed in my lights. They may have been improperly replaced by a P.O.? I'll let everyone know how they work out after I get it all installed and working. T
    Last edited by fng; June 10th, 2007 at 06:33 PM. Reason: goofed

I just run 1156 for the top right big bulb and either 67 or 631 for the two small bulbs depending on which one I pick up first at all four corners of the truck.

You should be fine.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Just curious, which bulbs do you task for what? I planned on using the smaller bulbs for parking illumination and the larger for signaling. Right, wrong, what do you guys think?

I know you are using different than stock housings. But, on a stock 715 the top right bulb socket is set back further from the lens than the rest. This bulb socket is for the 1156 bulb and is used as the blinker/service brake light. The two other sockets are closer to the lens and are the running light and b/o light locations. The big 1156 bulb will not fit in those locations.

The M35 style composite lights have the blinker/service brake light on top which is also recessed back from the lens so it will fit. The next one down is the service running light. The next one down is the b/o running light and for the rear, the 4th one down or lowest is the b/o brake light. All but the top on the composite style use the smaller bulb with the 1156 being the top one both front and rear. Many of the newer composite lights have LED inserts for the b/o light functions.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw