Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stock leaf springs vs custom leaf springs

Default stock leaf springs vs custom leaf springs

i have a 68 m715 semi built on 40'' super swampers. the ride is horrible feels like a car accident everytime i hit a bump. my question is, am i better off removing some leafs? or getting new ones made? and if i take leafs out which ones should i take off on the front and back? should i go over axle in the front with a shackle flip in the back? i want it to ride little smoother thanks

People repor good results from removing the 1st and 3rd or 2nd and 4th spring from the bottom...better ride...though it lowers carrying capacity. Leaves are removed at all corners.

A springover wont change the ride much by itself...

Taking the leaves apart and cleaning them and painting them with slip-plate helps a lot.

Have the shackles been greased recently? Are they working front and rear the way they should?

I know the stock suspension isnt smooth...but "car accident" seems like something is wrong.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

My stock suspension truck rides smooth, and articulates much better. I purchased new springs from AB Linn, took them apart and painted each leaf with two coats slip plate graphite paint purchased from a John Deer dealer. I was pleasantly surprised at how much better it is now compared to the old rusty leaves I used to have. Give it a go, it can't hurt anything and will most likely improve your ride tremendously.

If you have new springs made get more leaves than in the stock springs. That way you can achieve the same load rating and get more flex. Otherwise, get new springs from ABLinn as fisherman noted and clean and lube them.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Not to sound like a buzzkill, but trying to get "ride better" in an M715 is sort defeating the purpose. They generally don't ride very well, even with a lot of mods. Removing two leaves may soften it slightly, and that's being generous.

My stocker with well-greased shackles, and clean and slip-plated leaves rides marginally better than my stock Deuce.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

so when u say 1st and 3rd from the bottom. do u count the springs from the bottom ? 1st meaning the very first spring on the bottom

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by japsk8 View Post
    so when u say 1st and 3rd from the bottom. do u count the springs from the bottom ? 1st meaning the very first spring on the bottom
    Yes, that is what I removed on Grantshire's truck I am building now.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Randy is right, if you want a cushy ride you are going to have to have some springs made, or switch over to coilovers or something. A regular truck is meant to carry maybe 1000lbs in the bed and so it rides pretty nice. I've had 5x that amount (rides much nicer too) in mine w/o hitting the bump stops. It's going to ride a little stiffer.
    If you don't need the carrying capacity - go to 1/2t springs, will flex MUCH better too.
    If you do, then go with a new set painted up & slippery.
    भगवान तुम्हें प्यार करता है

It is easy enough to build springs, as long as you keep some basic rules in mind. In the case of the M715, I don't know of any off the shelf, or off other vehicles, which will work, but you can easily build a set.

I would keep the mainleaf, and the second, as the military wrap is a nice thing to have, and then start adding thin tapered leaves, to get the stance and ride that I want.

It may take a little trial and error, but unless you have a specific load range that you are building for, then there is no reason to get all scientific. As a general rule, most of us are not looking for that 5/4 ton capability in our builds, but rather improved performance, flex, and (gasp) comfort, at a lower load range.

Quote Originally Posted by BBM715 View Post
    ...if you want a cushy ride you are going to have to have some springs made, or switch over to coilovers or something.
    ...or fill the bed with lead!

I've never experienced a better ride in mine than the time it was full of quarried foundation stone. It even steered well, too.