Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need trans ideas

Default need trans ideas

hi all i just got my motor done 383 now i have to get a trany and im looking for soom advice from folks that have more experiance with 715s than ido im looking for a od stick trany any info will be a huge help thanks

Are you keeping your stock divorce transfercase or going to a married style. If money were no object I would go with a NV5600 six speed trans and Atlas transfercase. If you are trying to do it on somewhat of a budget a NV4500 or a Spicer 3053A five speed trans would work. Get the NV4500 in a chevy twowheel drive version if you want to keep your stock transfercase. The Spicer came in a 2.5 ton military 6x6 and is bombproof in a 715. The adaptor plates and bellhousings to adapt it to the chevy can be somewhat hard to find but some other members might be able to hook you up. I have some of the parts necessary. The Chevy two wheel drive NV4500 would probably be the cheapest. You could also go with a Ranger gearsplitter that bolts between your stock trans and chevy bellhousing which would give you overdrive. They are made by Advance Adaptors and are limited somewhat by how much torque your engine puts out. I started a 6.5 TurboDiesel swap on mine with a Ranger and stock trans and found out I am going to have to move everything back to get the engine back far enough for a radiator. I have to move crossmembers, transfercase, etc. Little more work than I thought it was going to take.

Is this a stroker 350 Chevy as a 383 OR a 383 B block Mopar engine?

Jon, you can also de-tune a 400 small block for a 383 from what I have been told also. I am not a motor head, so I am just spreading rumors.

I think the deuce 3053a is a great trans to run too. Look into using one of those new clutch release/clutch bearings deals, as the clutch throw out arm is a pain to install!
    "We are here for the meeting!"

the motor is a stroker about 400 hp

Going with the common ones Gimpy...there are several other possibles too...but...

So a stroker 350...ok...nv4500 or Spicer 3053A or nv5600in that order.

nv4500 will give better OD ratio than the Spicer and both he nv4500 and the Spicer will be cheaper than the nv5600.

I would go with a Ranger torque splitter od mated to a married SM465/205 combo. You might even be able to keep your driveshafts the same length since you are adding the length of the ranger but losing the length of the jackshaft. I wouldn't count on that but you might get lucky. They are rated for about 450hp if I recall--check it out first as I may be wrong. The bad thing is they are kinda pricey at about 1600 dollars or so, but then the 465/205 will be cheap. This will give you excellent gear selection (more than needed really) plus the 27% overdrive. The married 205 can be made to keep the NP200 parking brake assembly. I like the 3053A also and with all the dueces being surplussed now, you might could get one of those for less cash.
    Last edited by wrecker; September 3rd, 2008 at 05:03 PM.

I got my 3053 for $100 bucks. And that was from a guy that bought 3 from an auction. 3053's are cheap.

$100 bucks, . .that is less than I paid for the SM465 in my CJ,.. . of course a 3053 would be a difficult install in a CJ-3A, .. but that is another story. . .hmmm, .. maybe put one behind the 5.9 cummins in my 715. . .anybody know how do-able that is?. . .

That is exactly what i am doing. I have a 96 6bt and a spicer 3053. ALL you need to physically mount it to the cummins is a SAE #3 bellhousing. I think i picked mine up for a hundred bucks or so. I am currently in Iraq and trying to get all the parts to the house before December. I will be home for 2 weeks in December and all i am going to do is work on the 715. Of what i am getting the flywheel and bellhousing is from a f-750 and it will run the 13" clutch. I have some NAPA part numbers for the clutch kit and was told is was only $200 for the clutch kit. I will soon know if any of that is true.