Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much Gillespie paint for a M715 and trailer?

Default How much Gillespie paint for a M715 and trailer?

For those of you that have used Gillespie military paint, How much did it take for your truck? I won't be painting the under side of the cab or the bed or trailer under side. I will undercoat there. So the interior of the cab, exterior of the cab and nose, and the outside of the bed. I plan on raptor bed liner inside the bed. Black for the engine bay.
    Would two gallons do it? Gillespie is a little different that the car paint I usually use. So I am not sure on how much to get. Aside from the truck I will be paint matching my M101 trailer.
    I finally settled on 30277 Sand Camo. Black trim and bumpers. I have looked at a lot of colors and nothing sang to me. I will be glad to get away from toxic urethane paints for this one.
    2 gallons or should I get three?

Al,
    You could maybe stretch things and get by with a single gallon. Get two and don’t stress.

It goes on really well. Like implement paint. Mix with Xylene. 2 parts paint for 1 part Xylene.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

The paint is cheap, buy plenty of it. When I painted my truck way back I used just under 4 gallons but that was to paint every surface of every piece of metal on a completely disassembled truck with at least three good heavy coats. I imagine that you will not use near as much not doing the undersides. When I painted the M37 (top sides only) I used under 2 gallons if I remember correctly.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Plus the hazmat fee is the same for 1 to 4 gallons.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    The paint is cheap, buy plenty of it. When I painted my truck way back I used just under 4 gallons but that was to paint every surface of every piece of metal on a completely disassembled truck with at least three good heavy coats. I imagine that you will not use near as much not doing the undersides. When I painted the M37 (top sides only) I used under 2 gallons if I remember correctly.
    My experience reflects Dave's as well.
    Although, I ended up using three, as I painted the chassis black.

+ I bought a 4 gallon case at the time. as the hazmat/shipping fees entered into the cost consideration as well.
    4 gallon was a much better deal considering the shipping.

Well super. I really appreciate the feedback. I am excited to have a decision made. I am sizing up the truck as it has been sitting all summer. Another summer of unplanned distractions and detours. And I lost most of August to getting covid again. Not much happened there. I hope to get the truck disassembled to the frame and take it in for blasting in the next week or so. Then get some Gillespie black on it and start building up. I will stoke the woodstove in the shop this winter and work on it between plowing snow.
    I was fitting gas tanks when I stopped. You know I was eyeing hot rod flatz for a color. The choices are limited and getting enough paint would have been a grand at least. Plus the toxic nature of Urethane paints and the inability of a standard respirator to remove isocyanates from your air. Using Gillespie is a win all the way around. Again thank you guys for helping me with this.

I rigged up a fixture so that I could rotate the frame for sandblasting and painting. Worked great.

Then, after sandblasting. I put on two coats of POR15, first coat black, then a gray coat.

Then two coats of POR15 chassis black. Much more durable than the acrylic enamel.

Yea, I made one heck of a mess sandblasting.
    Last edited by jeepdan; August 28th, 2021 at 04:38 PM.

I wish I had a spot to blast like that. I tried to do it on tarps and it did not go very well. I found a shop about an hour away that seemed pretty reasonable.
    I will appreciate not having to clean up. Nice rotisserie
    I wonder if the gillespie top coat would stick well to an epoxy primer. That stuff has good corrosion inhibitors. I might call Gillespie with that question.
    Great looking place you have there JeepDan.

I ended up removing the gravel in front of the garage, and two inches of sod from the yard area. I was tracking the sandblasting media EVERYWHERE.
    What a mess.

I use a small sand blasting cabinet for most any part that will fit. That is one of the best tools to have for restoring parts. I just wish it were a little bigger. Darn things are expensive for a box to blow sand in. When I did it outside on tarps. Hardly any sand stayed where I could clean it up and recycle it. Yes very messy. I would love to have a concrete floored area with walls to do that. Away from anything important. The guy I am taking my frame to does. A great set up.