Thread: Correct colour (color) sequence of cargo body reflectors.

Default Correct colour (color) sequence of cargo body reflectors.

My question is, on a military rear cargo body what is the colour (color) sequence of the reflectors?

Current mine has orange on the front corners, red on the rear corners and the tailgate has orange on the left (drivers) side and red on the right. Is this correct or should it be something else?

Should it be 2 orange at the front, 2 red on the rear and 2 red on the tailgate.

Or

4 orange on the front and rear and 2 red on the tailgate.

I have seen the later two configurations on photos of restored vehicles. Looking at original b&w or even grainy colour (color) photos it is not easy to see the difference in lens colour.

Though I’m not sure about my current set up, though I sort of see that each panel has one of each colour if they were the same, as in orange is always on the left and red on the right or vice versa, mine doesn’t match that as mine has two panels with the orange reflector on the left (driver and tailgate) but orange on the right on the passenger side.

I suppose a simple solution is to pick the one I like the look of, but as I’m keeping the truck stock military I want it set up according to US military regulations regarding lighting/reflectors.

Thank you in anticipation.

This is a great question. I looked in the manuals above TM 9-2320-244-34P and searched for reflectors. It shows reflectors but not the color, only the part number REFLECTOR, TAILGATE MS35387-1 (96906)
    This level of concours restoration is beyond me, but I know someone will hop in soon with the correct information. Hopefully it will happen soon! Cheers!- gonz
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

I can’t claim my level of work is of concours standard but I do like to get some of the finer points right because with the military there is a reason for something being that way. Often the explanation is a fascinating insight into the way they think and operate.

The reflector explanation will more than likely to be about recognising which way another vehicle is facing in relation to you dark or blackout conditions. I’m only guessing so it would be good to get a definitive answer so we can all understand the significance, rather than just wondering why there seems to be a mishmash of reflector colours.

Here’s hoping,

Simon.

Two amber on the front of the box
    Two red on the rear of the box
    Two red on the tailgate

This was the original configuration
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

I agree with Beast. All the M715s I have seen many which where in the junk yard right from service had the configuration that he mentioned.
    Zone holster maker

Brilliant, thank you gentlemen.

I can now order the reflectors to replace the rather tired and kn****ed ones.

Simon J.