Thread: Armored Bake Lines

Default Armored Bake Lines

In the old days "armored" bake lines where just brake tube with a steel wire wrapped around the line like a spring to "protect" it. The problem with that is the spring would hold onto mud and dirt and corrode the brake line.

I want to use an "armored" brake line on my project truck, but don't want the spring wrapped line. Is there an off the shelf armored, off road brake line tubing that is available? I was thinking like a braded steel line, but I don't want a flexible line where I should be running a hard line. Or am I just over thinking things and just used standard brake line and not worry about it?

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Zone holster maker

you are over-thinking it. Just use the std brake line. It's lasted 50 years so far. The new line will outlast you and I both.

The new green coated brake line is great stuff. It is bendable without kinking and the coating is a corrosion inhibitor. Being green is also a bonus for our old military trucks. It fits right in there. I have been ordering stainless steel gravel guard and putting it on every line on my truck and previous builds too. Fuel lines, everything below the body. I have placed several orders with these guys.
    https://www.thestopshop.com/
    A good double flaring tool is really important too. I ended up doing enough rigs to justify a rotating turrent lever pull flare kit. Perfect flares and brakes matter.
    Eastwood makes a cheap on car single flare tool. It makes outstanding flares for 3/16. I bought it a while ago and it served me well.