Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Starter

What did the rebuild cost ya? If ya don't mind me asking?
    Brickfist
    67 M724 68 M715

Quote Originally Posted by Brickfist View Post
    What did the rebuild cost ya? If ya don't mind me asking?
    he said he was quoted 189.00 for the rebuild, but actual was 30.00 more, so that puts it at 219.00, not bad for a split main rod

You brought it to the right place!, I have done lots of business there over the last 30 years.

Lee

Challenging question- I have a starter I'm about to install and the bendix is in the extended position, so as to engage the ring gear.

I looked at the one I removed and it is the same. The bendix has 2 spring loaded pins that follow helical groves. There are 2 pins, but 3 grooves. If the pins align with groove 1 and 2, the bendix will move freely in and out. If the bendix follows groove 2 and 3, the groove for 3 has a stop machined into it that catches the pinion and locks it out.

Any explanation about this mysterious 3rd groove or a bendix that appears to be locked in the engaged position.

have a pix but cant post attachments.

Took the Bendix apart again, took some pictures, figured out how it works. I still cant explain why only one of the helical grooves has the catch machined in it.

Here is what I learned. The spring loaded plunger rides on the high part of the helical groove, not in the groove, but on the ridge. When the bendix goes out, the plunger catches on the machined indentation and holds the bendix out. In this way, when you engage the starter, it engages the ring gear and stays engaged until the engine starts, Even if you attempt to start it several times, on off. As long as the engine doesn't catch, it stays engaged.

Centrifugal force cause the plunger to disengage the indentation. It has to spin really fast.

So if you have a starter and the Bendix is out and locked. its ok

Right...as I stated in a post up thread, the bendix will stay out until sufficient rpm to force retraction occurs...this can come from the engine starting or it can be done, on some starters at least, by finding another method to spin the gear...I have had luck in the past by using a bench grinder with a wire brush wheel on it...get the wheel spinning at full speed and, holding the starter firmly, shove the gear into the brush with force...it will spin it and, if enough speed is generated by the wheel before it bogs down under the load, the gear will attain enough speed to allow retraction.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I went through this anguish myself when I changed starters. Mine had a worn bushing in the nose. And, my bendix was extended too. I thought it was defective but it worked just fine. Not being an expert, I didn't want to contribute misinformation. But it was actually correct.

Default Starter does nothing

I am getting 24 V to my starter when I turn the ignition but it does nothing. No sound nothing. Help please