Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starter

Default Starter

My starter went south yesterday (makes spinning noise but won't engage the flywheel). What should I expect to pay to have it rebuilt (already pulled it out) and what is the cost of a new (or rebuilt one)? I see on eBay that I can just buy the gear drive nose piece. Would it be worth it to buy that and replace it myself (how do I know if that is the problem)? Thanks for any help! My 67 M715 is now stuck outside in the yard (it has been garaged since the FD bought it in 1985 and I got in 2005) and I don't want the elements to start working their evilness on it.

Quote Originally Posted by RamBob67 View Post
    My starter went south yesterday (makes spinning noise but won't engage the flywheel). What should I expect to pay to have it rebuilt (already pulled it out) and what is the cost of a new (or rebuilt one)? I see on eBay that I can just buy the gear drive nose piece. Would it be worth it to buy that and replace it myself (how do I know if that is the problem)? Thanks for any help! My 67 M715 is now stuck outside in the yard (it has been garaged since the FD bought it in 1985 and I got in 2005) and I don't want the elements to start working their evilness on it.
    I would start with a starter drive. You can install that without a major disassembly of the starter.

I called around and everyone I found that had a rebuilt one already wanted $500 for it, and they would refund a core charge upon receipt of your old core. Usually around $200 so your still paying about $300. I took mine to a local shop here that I know really well and he is great with military 24 volt stuff. Mine was toasted pretty bad and he had to order all new internals, I ended up paying about $150 total but got all new internals and it works perfect. Yours may not be as much on a rebuild since it is still functioning. But I hope that helps a bit!

As Don said, if you can hear the motor running, the Bendix (starter drive) is shot.

UPDATE: MD1970 (Morgan) was kind enough to sell me his working 13k mile starter for $125.00 shipped (he is changing out his motor) and I found a local shop that will rebuild mine for $189.00 (so, I'll have an extra to drop in when this happens again). Thanks for the replies,

Bob

That, great! You always need a spare. As long as you have a spare, you won't need it .

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    That, great! You always need a spare. As long as you have a spare, you won't need it .
    My wife said the same thing! Maybe someday someone on here will need it more than me and I can help them out.

Quote Originally Posted by RamBob67 View Post
    My wife said the same thing! Maybe someday someone on here will need it more than me and I can help them out.
    That is a good plan.

My starter appeared to be working fine, but the ring gear was chewed up.
    So, I want to replace my Bendix drive before reinstalling my starter on a new gear.
    Has anyone had good luck with the one from Saturn Surplus?

Only 8 left!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-M715-Sta...item3f2bef2f56

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post
    My starter appeared to be working fine, but the ring gear was chewed up.
    So, I want to replace my Bendix drive before reinstalling my starter on a new gear.
    Has anyone had good luck with the one from Saturn Surplus?