Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine oil

Default Engine oil

Have stockpiled a good amount of engine oil over the years. Even still have a couple of cases of oil in the paper cans. Was wondering does oil have a shelf life?

I have same cans of oil been working fine. I am an engine builder of 50 years and have found that old engines run better on older weight oil.

That's certainly an interesting insight, Tomb. I've never considered this, but it makes sense. After all, engines and engine oil go hand in hand and I would think that the products of about the same era go well with each other.

MOST engines can benefit from latest technology oils in regards to synthetics...

**I say most.... as older design engines with flat-tapped pushrods wear better with zinc additives no longer found in newer oils (dino or synthetic)**

If your running an old 'roller' motor... there is technology benefits of using motor oil that is new vs. say 20-30 years old.

Cleaning detergents in new oil are simply non-exisitent in 20 year old oil.

All of my "old school" motors get a 500 mile treatment to diesel engine oil to clean them up inside.

If your wanting to read up on oils... anything/everything, lab results, filter results etc can be found at:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

I would use that oil in things you don't care about excessively.

And interesting thread and I hope my comments are not considered a hijack. Originally, I used Shell Rotella 15W40 in my truck. It didn't burn any oil and did not smoke at all. Last autumn, I changed the oil and refilled it with 10W30 oil. No drop in oil pressure but I noticed that if I start the truck and let it idle for 20-30 minutes, when I rev the engine, it sends out smoke. It never did that before. So, my thinking is that I may well go back to the Rotella which may be good for in Northern Florida where I live. Truck speedometer indicates 14,000 miles and it runs good (and does not foul plugs).

So, my non-expert opinion is that we all benefit from today's oil technology.

Funny, just yesterday, I was talking to a friend of mine and I asked him what the two fingers on the Kendall oil container meant. I said that my Dad, who was born in 1915 told me that it meant that Kendall was the first oil that could go 2,000 miles before an oil change.

Comments?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    I said that my Dad, who was born in 1915 told me that it meant that Kendall was the first oil that could go 2,000 miles before an oil change.

Comments?

Your dad was correct... 1928

https://www.kendallmotoroil.com/about/our-history
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

I use the Rotella 15w$0 or Delo 15w40 diesel oils in my trucks. The diesel oil still has the sulfur additives for flat tappet cams that all the new gasoline motor oils is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    I use the Rotella 15w$0 or Delo 15w40 diesel oils in my trucks. The diesel oil still has the sulfur additives for flat tappet cams that all the new gasoline motor oils is missing.
    Sounds like a plan. I think I will go back to that oil. I didn't like seeing smoke which I had never seen before.

My truck's engine likes Rotella oil also so I have no reason yet to switch to another brand.