Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Second Iteration

Default The Second Iteration

Hey all, I built my truck in 2009 I believe, when I was still making a lot up as I went as far as trucks are concerned. Since then it sat outside and got crusty, but it's been a fun truck that has served me well. Now I have somewhere to keep it indoors and as such I'm going through it all again and making it exactly how I want it.

Here's my original build thread

Another 4bt build

So far I have been doing a lot of needle gun cleaning of the frame and rebuilding of components. I have the rear brakes rebuilt and took an overload out of the rear springs so new ubolts and the like back there. I added an air tank for my parking brakes/onboard air. I'm also redoing my trans/transx/and motor mounts. So far the trans mount is rebuilt and the transx case has been resealed, waiting on bushings to finish that mount. Work is going to be slower than the first time around but I want it all done correctly. I dropped off the front clip and cab at a friend's house today who is going to do all of the rust repair for me. I have no patience for that work.

Here it is when I last drove it.

Then pressure washed and degreased

Started cleaning it all up and stripping it more

And with some needle gun work

I will try and get some more pictures of it up this week that have better detail and aren't three weeks old.

-Steve

Looks good. Always love build threads with pics!

x2, and the first gen dually looks pretty cool too
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

X3 any regrets with the 4 bt? I see a lot of 6bt swaps but not too many 4 bt swaps.

Thanks guys, the first gen is actually my buddies, it's a completely rust free truck that gets some use up in the ADK, I think it's in line for an eaton fuller swap.

I have had a few 6bts, all 12valves and drive a 6.7 now to pull with. I can't say I have any motivation to change the 4bt out though, with 4.10s, and tall skinny tires the kaiser has always had plenty of pep and managed about 20mpg on the highway cruising at 60/65mph. I've got it turned up a bit and she makes about 30lbs of boost but the added length of the 6bt always deterred me and the novelty of my own fascination with the 4bts seems to beat out any urges I get to build a nasty p-pump motor for the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Burritoboi5 View Post
    Thanks guys, the first gen is actually my buddies, it's a completely rust free truck that gets some use up in the ADK, I think it's in line for an eaton fuller swap.

I have had a few 6bts, all 12valves and drive a 6.7 now to pull with. I can't say I have any motivation to change the 4bt out though, with 4.10s, and tall skinny tires the kaiser has always had plenty of pep and managed about 20mpg on the highway cruising at 60/65mph. I've got it turned up a bit and she makes about 30lbs of boost but the added length of the 6bt always deterred me and the novelty of my own fascination with the 4bts seems to beat out any urges I get to build a nasty p-pump motor for the truck.

Length? 6BTs fit quite nicely in a FSJ, provided the mechanical fan is removed.

Here are a few more shots of some progress I made in the past couple weeks.

30/30 can mounted for the parking brakes, still need to complete the linkages and cable mounts as well as the backup tank.

Haven't laid a bead down with my MIG in almost a year and half, still need to get my touch back.

8 gallon (I think) air tank for the onboard air setup mounted behind and above rear axle.

NP205 setup all resealed and with a PTO cover brace, it will be mounted using that bushing as well as 4 others hanging it from the frame rails. I snapped my old mount and don't want to deal with the BS this time around so we're overbuilding. All will be in 1/4 or greater. You can also see the backup tank on the bench next to the transx.

More updates to come this week hoping to start in on the transx mount but I'm waiting on bushings and have some milling to do this weekend.

-Steve

No real progress on the truck. I started on the transx case mount and the bushings arrived but I got a bit side tracked with a few other projects.

This H followed me home with a stuck motor.

So I pulled the head and freed that up, supposedly ran last year, cylinders look good after a quick home and she should be ready to rock and roll once the gaskets come in. All the lights on the tractor actually work, didn't expect that, kinda neat.

Then my buddy picked up a lincoln sa-250 pipeline welder that needs some love and we had to fix a chipper so that pretty much ate up my weekend. More progress on the truck hopefully this week.

-Kriv

It's been a while but things have been busy with work and what not. I got my cousin to wire wheel/needle gun my frame so the next step is welding in the transfercase mounts and new motor mounts. Once all the welding is done I'll get the frame undercoated and start in on the front axle or the engine reseal.

Thats 1 h/d bench you made there.