Thread: Is 3500 express van good donor with these parts?

Default Is 3500 express van good donor with these parts?

I have a 2003 express 3500 van with the following:

6.0 LQ4 engine.
    4L80E transmission
    Dana 70S rear axle that measures roughly 72" WMS and around 51" between spring perches. It has disc brakes.

Has anyone used the LQ4 and 4L80E with custom ordered harness?

I would look to adapt an NP205 T case to the 4L80E

The truck I picked up recently still has the tornado and runs but not well and there's a lot of things that need worked out to try to get it running well. Since I already have this van I was thinking the effort might be better spent with a swap now rather than later.

Any experience or advice using these for a swap would be appreciated.

An LS swap into a 715 has been done numerous times so its nothing new.

Wiring harnesses that make the swap plug and play are readily available. Since you have the entire van... you'll have the engine ECM, trans PCM, Gas pedal, and pedal ECM already with the van... so should be able to just send it out to get security stuff removed. (I used LT1swaps.com... simple and cheap)

You'll need to rework the fuel tank to have a fuel return also and put in an inline high pressure fuel pump and regulator/return on the frame rail somewhere.

Good luck.... I had a 5.3L LM7 / 4L60e combo in my 1966 Chevy C-10... it was a RIOT and was VERY happy with the swap.
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

As stated above. Very doable.

To make the 4L80E married transfer case ready, it will have to be taken all the way apart and a 4x4 output shaft installed. Then put back together. Around here, the cheapest place I could find to do that was around 1,500. Plus the 4x4 output shaft and pedestal mount. It is almost worth while to keep it 4x2 and run a divorced NP205.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post

To make the 4L80E married transfer case ready, it will have to be taken all the way apart and a 4x4 output shaft installed. Then put back together. Around here, the cheapest place I could find to do that was around 1,500. Plus the 4x4 output shaft and pedestal mount. It is almost worth while to keep it 4x2 and run a divorced NP205.
    Probably much easier to sell that 2WD trans and buy a 4WD version. Here in the northeast they are everywhere. Divorced NP205s are hard to find and expensive.

http://www.car-part.com
    Last edited by Mikel; May 4th, 2018 at 08:48 PM.

Thanks for everyones input. I am not real familiar with the 205 variations. Does this apply when using a figure 8 205? Off Road design and a few others make it sound like cutting the tail shaft to length is the biggest thing if its already 32 spline or zomething along those lines. Everyone is saying the figure 8 case is the one i need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk