Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NP 200 oil cooler?

Default NP 200 oil cooler?

I have heard that someone has found a passive oil cooler that bolts to the PTO flange on the NP200. Do any of you think that would work to keep temps down?

I know that they make 'em for some t-cases, like this:

It's about 3 hours of driving to my claims in the M715, and the first two hours are highway hours (45-50 MPH) and some real hills. I can see (and smell) the overheating NP200 coming.

I don't want to install a pump and run lines.

Quote Originally Posted by plumas.placer.miner View Post
    I have heard that someone has found a passive oil cooler that bolts to the PTO flange on the NP200. Do any of you think that would work to keep temps down?

I know that they make 'em for some t-cases, like this:

It's about 3 hours of driving to my claims in the M715, and the first two hours are highway hours (45-50 MPH) and some real hills. I can see (and smell) the overheating NP200 coming.

I don't want to install a pump and run lines.
    I have wondered about cooling fins, too. Not sure how to try some and keep my PTO winch.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    1968 M-715 w/1100R16s on Stockton wheels, H3 headlights, 2bbl upgrade...

I thought that the PTO unit is mounted on the side of the T98 transmission, and not the NP200 transfer case.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post
    I thought that the PTO unit is mounted on the side of the T98 transmission, and not the NP200 transfer case.
    Oh, duh. Of course it is.

I have read on other fora that some people just put extra oil in the T-case, and that solves the overheating problem.

I dunno though...My Gramps was a Ford mechanic and he always told me that too much oil is worse than too little oil...up to a point.

Others just say to get used to the idea that the NP200 overheats at highway speeds...period. If I don't like it, change to the NP205. I think I read that on this forum somewhere.

Some on other fora said that AT Fluid is best used in the T-case, while others recommend 50 wt oil. I used the 85-90 gear oil, but I can't say if it overheats because I haven't driven more than 4 miles yet. I know...that sucks.

I'm trying to get in front of the T-case overheating issue, if possible.

try Charles at :

http://www.mseriesrebuild.com/index.html

he at one time was offering some type of cooler

Quote Originally Posted by bmac6026 View Post
    try Charles at :

http://www.mseriesrebuild.com/index.html

he at one time was offering some type of cooler
    Sounds great.

"NP-200 transfer case, with a cooling system. Features a 12 or 24 volt pump, cooling core with electric fan, and a spin-on oil filter. On dash monitoring system including an oil temperature gauge, and pilot lamp for monitoring pump and cooling fan functions. This system offers the oil cooling necessary for heavy hauling, towing, and sustained operation at on highway speeds. All system components are protected from damage by expanded metal shielding."

I've driven my M715 on the highway at 65-70MPH all day (800 miles in one day) and never had any heat issues. But I do have 4.10 gears...

Given that the gears are the same as in a NP205 and the bearings are not all that different, it is a great mystery to me why these things generate so much heat.

I think the extra heat is caused by not having a direct drive, which lead people to switch the yoke on the backside of the t-case. Some 200’s build up more heat or noise than others. I’d see if it heats up or not and leave well enough alone. My 200 was crazy loud and got super hot. I swapped in a 205 and it fixed both heat and noise.
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

Quote Originally Posted by gonz View Post
    I think the extra heat is caused by not having a direct drive, which lead people to switch the yoke on the backside of the t-case. Some 200’s build up more heat or noise than others. I’d see if it heats up or not and leave well enough alone. My 200 was crazy loud and got super hot. I swapped in a 205 and it fixed both heat and noise.
    Mine is direct drive. The only noise I get is when coasting on the highway. GRRRRRRRR