Thread: Rubber (or flex) brake lines?

Default Rubber (or flex) brake lines?

I do not trust the 40 year old flex brake lines on my rig. When I have the hubs and drums apart this weekend, I wnat to replace my flex lines.

The NAPA guy and I could not figure out what to use, so i am here to ask. Will the rubber brake lines from a Wagonneer or J-truck work? What should I use?

Zach

If it were me, I'd consider upgrading to braided stainless steel lines. Of course, that doesn't help you figure out size and such at this point...

I hope this thread gets put in the brake tech files (after a better answer than mine is added!)
    -- Tim Taylor

Here's what I used, worked perfect:

http://www.memphisequipment.com/Parts/detail.asp?id=44

The new Memphis Equipment hoses are very nice and you will receive their parts catalogue and M truck breakdown. And usually a once yearly calendar.

Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    If it were me, I'd consider upgrading to braided stainless steel lines. Of course, that doesn't help you figure out size and such at this point...

I hope this thread gets put in the brake tech files (after a better answer than mine is added!)
    I don't like braided flex lines for street use.

Rubber gives lots of warning when it is on the way out. It get spongy. You can plainly see cracks. When it is really shot, it will bulge. Stainless flex lines do not give you any of that warning. Further, the steel weave will eat grommets like a saw, and then the brake line rubs right on the metal of the body. The line will cut before the body does.

On track applications, or when off road, braided lines are great. Firmer pedal feel, more responsive brakes, very good things. But in those applications you are inspecting your lines prior to every session. If they are abraided you will fail tech.

Most people don't inspect their brake lines before going on a drive around town. in a truck with only one brake circuit, why take the chance of failure?

IMHO, of course. Lots of folks love them.

Zach

Interesting.... I'd often heard they were "better." I'd never heard the downsides to them. Cool!
    -- Tim Taylor

I know at least 2 people that have had them fail, and have heard of many others. In both instances the lines had chewed up a grommet and wore away at the body of the car.

There was no warning prior to fialure. Just a lout BANG and the pedal went to the floor.

On some of the sports car fourms I frequent there are pages and pages of arguments about these types of line. Some people love them, others don't.

Zach

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

We use the stainless hoses on a lot of bikes, and have never had them fail in normal use. Get the plastic coated ones and your grommet problems will go away.

Also, be darn sure they are DOT approved hoses. Non-DOT hoses areout there all opver the place, and the end crimp methods and the non-coated braid both make them a bad choice for the street.

Russell and Goodridge are both DOT approved and work just fine. If you keep decent hoses on your rig, change the fluid every year, and be sure they are routed proberly with no chafing, they should last as long as any stock hose.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I kind of like the stock lines with the spring around it for protection, actually. Might consider something like that for my CJ as well, now that I've been steered away from the braided lines!
    -- Tim Taylor

Just ordered some stockers from memphis EQ myself.

Simple solution is often the best.

Zach