Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil pump leak

Default Oil pump leak

So if I'm correct, the oil pump sits under the distributor. That is where my leak is coming from. It's definitely a class 2 leak with a small puddle and oil drops forming (for those of you who have spent time in an actual motor pool!). I assume there is a gasket on the flat plate where the bottom plate bolts on.

Are the civvy model 230's the same in terms of oil pumps? Can I go to a parts store and buy the gasket or just use RTV? I have a complete gasket kit for the 230 but don't want to tear into yet. Thanks
    1-1AD 4-17 INF B Co OEF 12-13

DO NOT use rtv. It can clog oil passages. You can make your gasket, any parts store will have sheets of gasket material. If you are good and lucky you will be able to get the old gasket off in one or two pieces to use as a pattern.

As you most likely know, but just in case, #25 is the oil pump. When you say that it is under the distributor, I want to be absolutely clear where "under" is. The oil pump is on the opposite side of the engine from the ignitor #32; it's on the driver side. The shaft from the ignitor goes through the front cover all the way to the other side.

Not trying to be a smart arse. (BTW, like the hemi-head design?)

is yout oil pump aluminum or cast iron > use a magnet to tell. the aluminum pumps are china made and are prone to leak. also theres a O-ring on the pump body where it goes into the timing case
    .m

Don, that's what I meant! Md1970, it looks like an aluminum housing. The more I look at I can't tell where it's actually leaking from. It's definitely from the pump housing, just can't tell where. Ok I won't use RTV. Thanks for informing of that.

bet you,ve got a china oil pump and just like there coils they arn't any good.

military engines used aluminum, and the older civilian engines used cast iron.
    I have one of each OEM NOS on the shelf.
    Picture of aluminum pump

Yep that's it

I have always had good luck with Mega Black sealant.
    A thin coat WITH the fibre gasket seems to work well keeping the oil leaks at bay. I'm sure that almost 50 years of heating and cooling have caused some warpage of the aluminum cover and sealing surfaces.
    I think sealant here would be alright as long as you don't get carried away with it.
    JMO

Quote Originally Posted by fng View Post

I think sealant here would be alright as long as you don't get carried away with it.
    JMO
    Me too. (FWIW)