Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: My Build

are these the zippered ones?

the silicone ones are supposed to be the best, but do require an almost complete tear down to fit them

they do sell NEW zippered ones, which are slightly better then NOS, which may have or have not stored too well.

Link for silicone ones, scroll down

http://www.bigmikesmotorpool.com/col...-and-seal-kits

cool thing is they do combine seals with these as well, kind of a one stop shop thing.

other thing to do is lube them up with a grease and oil mixture, little sloppy, but really seems to keep them from dry cracking, especially when storing over the winter months

They were brand new and installed last summer. Non zippered boots. I didn't replace all the seals so I should get that kit and like you said. Goop on some grease/oil to protect them. It just sucks. I tore the axle completely down to do my disc brake conversion. I at least had it off the truck on my bench when I did that. Now I will have to do it on the truck.

the silicone ones shouldn't really crack, I never used those seals, but most other silicone materials I use that need a degree of freedom don't seem to crack, rubber yes, especially old stuff.

I wonder if maybe it was a bad batch? or maybe its just the climate, dryer climates would definitely cause them to dry out and crack faster then a wetter climate.

I am in the works for a 6.0 LQ9 gm motor to swap out my big block. I like the idea of a reliable fuel injected motor that will get a littler better mpg too.

Out with the old!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And here is the new power plant.

It's an LQ9 6.0 out of an 04 Yukon. Rated at 355hp stock. I know it's not the same power I had in the big block but EFI and able to run cooler is a big bonus.

That is what I have in mine and I love it. It seems to like gas. I have never checked the mileage since I use a GPS for my speedometer right now, but it seems like the gas gauge moves fairly quickly. None the less, it runs great, starts right up first time every time, good power. You will love it. The truck is looking great.

What manifolds did you end up using? It doesn't look like the stock truck ones will work.

I did a little painting.

I used the stock exhaust manifolds and the worked fine. Pipes run just inside the frame rails, and the driver side crosses over at the rear of my doubler. Both dump into one Flowmaster muffler - 2.5 inches going in and 3 inch single out.