Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: jeepdan's 67 M-715 restoration

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post
    I installed both into the truck together as an assembly. It went well this way without any help.

Dave Allen,
    Remembering your smashed finger, you were in my thoughts the whole time during the lift and install.
    Yep my finger still has a little crick in it from the transmission crossmember and lining up the studs. Glad yours went well, and it's awesome to see your truck coming together. From the looks of it, it will not be long before you can take it on a drive.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post
    I detailed the distributor, and upgraded (hopefully upgraded) to a
    a Pertronix unit yesterday.
    The instructions said to use a "resisted style" coil with a minimum primary resistance of 7 to 8 ohms.
    The coil that was installed in the distributor, had a primary resistance of only 5.8 ohms.
    So, I installed my spare coil bought from Italylovers. It had a primary resistance of 11.4 ohms. Hope that works.
    That IS some outstanding work you're doing. Beautiful!

On the Pertronix... before i got distracted by various childrens vehicular emergencies and a 76 Ranchero GT and then the M715... I was researching stuff for the 65 Fairlane Sports Coupe that's been patiently waiting for me in the back yard.

I read an article by Bob Mannell over at the Fairlane Club of America. Like everything Bob does, it's very detailed, very thoroughly researched and very complete... he covers all the bases.

Anyway, he addressed the resistance requirements of the Pertronix units and picked the brains of the Pertronix staff that would talk to him. I think he was trying to determine the resistance required for the best performance (it's been a couple of years since I read it) But I seem to remember a byproduct of his research was seeing how too much or too little resistance outside Pertronix recommendations affected performance and invited equipment failure.

I think too much resistance was better than too little.. as far as the life of the Pertronix unit itself... In which case you're better with the coil you chose.

I'm scouring my files at work and the archives at the FCA trying to find that article and verify...

It also just occurred to me that you're a LOT more limited on coil choices with the M715 military dizzy than with an early 60's Ford Fairlane.... so the article may be a moot point...
    I'll look for it anyway.

Interesting view clearly showing the angle of the distributor/oil pump drive.

I'm no lover of the Tornado 230, but that last photo is art!
    Roy

Quote Originally Posted by gerrykan View Post
    I'm no lover of the Tornado 230, but that last photo is art!
    Thanks

Got the NOS Fan and Fan Shroud from Memphis Equipment.
    And a NORS Radiator from a fellow Zoner here from the classified ads.

So THAT is what a M 715 Shroud looks like : )

niiiiccceeee....

You are gonna have this finished just in time for the Hot summer !
    hostis est intra portas tuas

Memphis has the fan shrouds????? REALLY???? How much was it???

Dave-
    Even Chuck Norris drove a 715.

Default wow

Thats so nice.shhhhhhhwing

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    So THAT is what a M 715 Shroud looks like : )
    You are gonna have this finished just in time for the Hot summer !
    Yea,
    I was thinking about putting one of those 24 volt fans in the cab to blow in my face.

I had the engine running yesterday for the first time. I was amazed at how hot the passenger floor got behind where the heat shield stops underneath (I couldn't hold my hand on the floor)