Thread: Anybody done tube fenders?

Default Anybody done tube fenders?

In the last two times I've taken my junk out I've managed to bend the crap outta my fenders. First time I understand, I didn't have any bumper/sliders. This time it was in spite of my bumper/sliders.

As much as it pains me, I think they are gonna have to come off in favor of some tube that will be a little more durable as it rubs against trees/rocks. Unfortunately I don't have access to a ring-roller so they won't be radiused like the normal ones.

Anybody put tube fenders on front/and or rear?
    Thoughts?

Good idea...
    My initial thoughts were to place tubes on the exocage from the front bumper to the a-pillar bars in an attempt to protect the fenders and strengthen the cage. Tube fenders might be another approach that would also provide additional clearance.
    '67 M715 '42 GPW '45 MB

I have them on my truck, thanks to the Troy PA fire dept. They add considerable strength. Stainless 1/4 inch tube too.

Zach

1/4 nch wall tube, not 1/4 inch tube...

Oops.

Zach

Sorry for the three posts in a row. I suppose I should pony up some dosh to get the edit button back.

Here is a pic of the tube on my fenders. I am going to have to cut it to remove the front cowel when I do an engine swap. But for now it stays.

Zach

you can make big radius bends by bending 100 times in very small increments if you wanted to give it a try. i like the idea of a ring on the outside but not so much the whole flare being gone

Ryan
    67 #18820 mostly stock...

How about some THICK metal for the flare itself?
    When I made the flares for the back of my cherokee to match the front M715 fenders, I used much thicker metal. I would really have to WHACK it to dent the heavier stuff. The stock flares are really thin though, are are fairly prone to damage if you abuse them any.