Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Jungle Rot comes back to TN!

Thanks! That's helpful information, because that's not what I'm experiencing. All my internet research is pointing towards low pressure from the PS pump. But the Hydroboost is the first thing after the PS pump, then on to the PS gear box and hydroassist ram....and the power steering seems to be working great. So the pressure is passing through the hydroboost fine, so maybe something isn't functioning internally in the hydroboost. I'll do some more internet research and find some things I can test.

Nothing like solving one problem only to find another! But I guess that's half the fun.

What if the forward piston in the MC is stuck in the forward position? (Never seen it happen)

You could step on the brake pedal and have someone open one of the front bleeders. If a lot of brake fluid comes out and the pedal goes down, that narrows the problem to the booster.

I have had two hydroboost units die on me... It does happen.

When you bleed the front brakes, do you get a good squirt of brake fluid out of the bleeders?

Typically if a piston is stuck in the bore you have excessive free play at the pedal. Just from experience

Yep, when I bleed the brakes I get a nice flow through the bleeder valve so I don't think it's something clogging the brake line.

I bled them a few more times and each time it seemed slightly better than it was even though I never saw any bubbles in the brake fluid. Now I'm questioning whether the brakes were always this week and I just never really tested them.

I'll have to revisit this again, but for now I need to tackle the steering box mount. I initially thought that the welds cracked, but I pulled the front clip off and removed the radiator and intercooler and realized that the crack started on the weld on each end and then started tearing through the frame itself. My plan is to add three gussets back to the frame to reinforce it. Just gotta make sure they don't interfere with the radiator and intercooler.

Any progress?

Yep, but it's been very slow. I got the gussets welded in. They're stick welded so they look a little rough, but should be plenty strong. I grinded out the cracks and put a bead there too so hopefully no more crack propagation.

Then I went to cleaning the coolant system which was extremely rusty. I removed the thermostat and flushed the whole system with water, then did a sulfamic acid wash, then a oxalic acid wash, then a soda ash wash to neutralize the pH. I got the thermostat installed and put the actual coolant in last night and ran it to temp and shut her down before the neighbors killed me. Looks like I need to replace my radiator cap because it was leaking coolant out until the point when the thermostat opened.
    Now I just need to start putting everything back together.

I really dropped the ball on updating after the changes. I've put a few hundred miles on the truck since I've made the changes and it drives great! Not death wobble issues at all. It's actually pretty surprising how smooth it rides. The poly bushings make the suspension feel a bit stiffer, but much more stable.

I think my thermostat got damaged during the work though, because I can't ever get the temperature up to 180. 160 seems to be the max it hits and that's only if your running it hard with the electric fan off. So I ordered a new thermostat.

Also, I think it's time to finally bite the bullet and redo all the electrical wiring. As it stands now, the only electrical that works is the starter, the radiator fan, the water temp gauge, and the front turn signals. No tach, speedo, pyro, headlights, brake lights or tail lights. Some of the wiring was damaged when the front drive shaft broke and grabbed the wires and hoses. The rest got disconnected when I pulled the front end off to weld up the frame. Anyway, a new 12 circuit harness is on the way. I'm a mechanical guy, so I'm a little intimidated about this project, but I've read some people say that it's not that bad if you just take your time.