Thread: Trying to remove homemade top....Not sure what to remove!

Default Trying to remove homemade top....Not sure what to remove!

I have seen "topless" pictures with the metal "bars" across, and some without..

I have a brush truck with a fiberglass hardtop.....It looks like it is riveted and tack-welded.....

Are the "bars" what should be there when the top is gone? Or is it like some of the ther pics i have seen, where there are no bars?

Thanks!

The 2 side door frames and 2 bows all fit together to create a support system for the original soft top. there are 3 bolts on each side (1 on windshield, 2 on cab) that hold the system to the vehicle. Take some photos and let's see what you got.

Here's what the parts diagram shows:

Default Thanks very helpful

That really helps...The bows them selves look so "hokey" that i wasnt sure if they were fabricated or not.Thanks!

This is what it looks like when the canvas is taken off. The bars also come off.
    Old pic!
    Thanks for all the help!

Default It looks like they tack welded it to the bars

I wanted to make sure i didnt cut the wrong thing! Thanks

If you're doing any grinding, beware that the small metal sparks hitting your windshield will pit the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by wrecker View Post
    If you're doing any grinding, beware that the small metal sparks hitting your windshield will pit the glass.
    Good call wrecker, I did that putting a cage in my CJ on the driver side window.... The little pits then rust and leave tiny brown pits
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

I never would have thought of that!! Thanks!