Thread: Vietnam ammo crates

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Vietnam ammo crates

On friday I picked up some original wooden ammo crates from the early 70's. They were for the 105mm howitzers and some of the crates were for shipment of 20 hand grenades. Rope handles, and lots of writing (military style) on the outside of the crates. They look pretty cool in their new home, the bed of my m715. It's nice to add things to the look of the truck that are period correct. Another item I got from the same guy was a commemorative plate given to him by Terry Waite in 1981. For those not familiar with the name, he was one of the prisoners that Iran took hostage and held for 440 days. Remember the helicopters trying to rescue them, and all of the choppers crashed in the desert because of dust and sand in the engines. Anyway, this guy was a tank commander who guarded the hospital in Wiesbaden Germany, where the hostages were taken after their release. Only 40 hostages received these plates. They're signed and dated. Pretty nice piece of history I added to my military collection. Unfortunately, this guy lost his job and has to sell some things to pay the bills. I'm sure to many of the younger Zoners this won't mean much, but to us older guys, it's a part of our past.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

I have some of those crates as well. I found them at a military surplus store in Norfolk, VA. They make great displays.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Very neat stuff!

I've managed to amass a collection of a bunch of wooden crates as well for various military items. Every time a friend or family member spots one at a yard sale or flea market they usually grab it for me, as well as the ones I've found/bought. You'd be surprised how many people use them for motorcycle parts when they bring us a basket case bike too.

And Terry Waite is a very familiar name. The whole Iran hostage crisis doesn't seem like it was over 30 years ago now. I feel older now.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Sorry Randy, I know the feeling. Keep hearing about all these anniverseries, and it starts to make you wonder where the years went. I still remember the 60's & 70's well, but man it seems like so long ago. One thing I know for sure tho, their will never be another time in history like that of the Vienam War years. I'm glad I lived thru it, and survived it. The unrest, protest, music, dress, and of course the HAIR!. Pretty far-out man! Their I said it. I'll never grow up.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Our Army Ammunition Plant here auctions those old crates off every few years, I bought a bunch about 8 years ago for $5.00. I can't remember what went in them but it must be for a howitzer, only 2 shells each. Yes they work great for parts, but now I need to find a new home for the parts to use the crates.

I also used to have a bunch of the crates.

They make large sandbag-type emplacements if you stack them and fill with sand.

Little hard to move after that though....
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715