Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: CPO Dave's restoration thread. (Ser#14690)

Default Today... as of 20 November 13 Work progresses

Engine, transmission and transfer case out. Frame not pressure washed but hydro blasted. We are moving along but not as quickly as I wished. But, life is a journey, not a destination I guess.

Dave- W4CPO

Even Chuck Norris drove a 715.

These are really good photos...
    Its cool to see one come apart.

I gotta get me some concrete and lights...

Default 24 November 2013 Update

24 November 2013-

T-98A transmission is at the shop getting a once over and a good check up. Also to remove some of the shifter slop. Waiting the mechanic's bill for that.

All the excess holes were fill welded today and the stress cracks and window area bracket separations were repaired. I still have some light grinding and sanding to do to the all the weld areas throughout the truck. But, the doors are solid once again. Blessed are the small miracles. Hope I'm not killing ya all with all the pictures.

Best wishes-

Dave (W4CPO)

Excellent pics, please do keep them coming. Makes me want to get back to working on mine now.

Quote Originally Posted by David Zelinski View Post
    24 November 2013-

All the excess holes were fill welded today and the stress cracks and window area bracket separations were repaired. I still have some light grinding and sanding to do to the all the weld areas throughout the truck. But, the doors are solid once again. Blessed are the small miracles. Hope I'm not killing ya all with all the pictures. ...

Dave,

You have not killed me with pictures. Rather, I am more convinced that my doors need the same treatment. I have fuzzies, new glass etc. So, I will follow your lead and fill holes and fix the stress cracks. (Once I get gas for the welder. Some dumb arse (me) left the valve on ). Oh yeah, have not welded for years so I must practice on some scraps first .

Thanks for taking the time to upload and post the pictures.

Default 29 November 2013 Update

Update- 29 November 2013

All brake lines are removed off the frame. Nothing left to do but wire wheel and POR-15 and paint now.

The stock Borg Warner T-98A transmission came back from the transmission builder today. Rebuilt in about 7 days even though I said I didn't need it back until March. Wasn't much to rebuild really. He tore it apart, inspected everything, replaced all the seals and some shims and a shifter fork. No metal at all in the old gear lube worth talking about. Gear patterning and wear in was like almost new. Basically looks like who ever drove my truck jammed gears and beat on the shifter a lot. I'm hapy. 350.00 for everything.

Best wishes-

Dave-

Update- 5 July 2014. Sorry it's been so long updating. After a extremely unseasonal winter here, we are back to work on the project. The engine is complete and the new clutch will go in this week. I had the T-98A trans finished and it's all painted now. The rolling chassis is about 99% complete with blasting, priming and painting. We hope to have the engine and transmission back in the frame by next weekend. Then I can finally start on the body work. Mainly the problem now is the very hot Summer days turns my garage into a oven by 1PM. I'm at work right now but If I can remember how to do it, I'll try and post some new pictures tonight. Oh yeah, I have a slew of new questions too!

Hope this pix shows up.

Couple more pictures:

Looks great! Keep the pictures coming.
    Did you open up the engine also, or just give it a good cleaning?