Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gearing

What would happen if I put 4.56 gears in my stock truck? Would it work?
    Mike

assuming you're not kidding...

Yes, it will work fine. You'll be able to actually drive on the road without redlining anything.
    **I heart Bump_r **

Default Driving Habits

I'm not kidding, just not learned, ha. So what is the drawback? Is there one?
    Mike

You lose the wow factor of having 5.87's and the cost could be a drawback if you're a cheapass like myself. If you never drive more than 45, I'd say to not go to the expense.

Chris

Default Tie Rod Question (kinda long)

Unfortunately, highway driving is a concern of mine because my truck has to make the occasional trip between central PA and Maryland. At 45 it takes me about four and a half hours. What would my top speed be if I changed the gearing?
    Thanks
    Mike

depends on what you want to rev it up to. w/4.56's and a beat 460 in my 725, on 35" actual diameter Swampers, I got about 3200rpm@65mph.
    There's no real drawback except the cost. R&P isn't a killer, but installation if you don't know someone IS... Kinda pricey. 5.87's are nice and low but maybe a little too low for normal use.
    **I heart Bump_r **

My engine is stock and I'm rolling on 36" humvee tires. It would be nice to actually start in first gear and be able to keep up with traffic in 4th. For those that have done this, did you buy from Randy's ring and pinion?
    Mike

Blog Entries

I have 4.56 in my truck. The rest is stock. Rides and runs great! I would Highly recommend it if you plan to use your truck for anything but strickly offroad.

First will still be too low. I wanted to downgear my F100 with T98 and be able to get overdrive revs in 4th. With 3.00 gears first was too low and second was a little high for starting. So don't expect miracles in that department.

Chris

Blog Entries

... oh and yes My were puchased from Randy's Ring &m Pinion in Everett WA. Total cost was $952.86.

YY D60-1310-29U - 45.00
    DAN2-94-28X - 3.10
    Shipping - 37.40

YK D70 - 195.85
    YK D60 - 156.07
    YG D60-456 - 201.69
    DAN706997-2X - 275.00
    Shipping - 38.75