Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Project: In over my head (again)

After a slow couple of weeks without much free time, I was finally able to make a little progress on the truck. I messaged the firewall back a bit more and it looks like the engine will fit!

I will even be able to reuse my old heater core! The brake booster that I got out of a Wagoneer, not so much. I'm going to need a smaller diameter booster (I know hydroboost is an option, but it's too expensive for my taste). Everything else looks like it will fit! It's cool to see the whole powertrain in the truck for the first time. I cannot wait to drive this thing again! I really hope I can get it on the road by this fall.

The NP205 just looks at home up in there!

Plenty of room on the passenger side. It's a little tight by the cylinder head and exhaust but the engine is tilted a bit. should be better once it's straightened out.

Just enough room

The driver's side is more clutter but it should all still fit without any interference issues. I'll just have to fab the mount a little differently for that side.

@hayeselmotors

For memorial day weekend, my parents came into town and my dad helped me with the truck. We made a lot of progress on the engine and trans mounts but there's still a lot left to do. This is the first time doing this for both of us and we're learning a lot. My goal is to have them all finish welded this weekend and maybe painted. After that, I need to paint a bit more of the underbody, add some heat shielding to the firewall and belly of the cab, and then paint the front clip inside before reinstalling it. It's becoming increasingly difficult to find time during the week to work on it. I really hope I can get it to a drivable state by the fall.

Got the engine strapped in the front to locate it horizontally

cardboard mock-ups. every fabri-cobbler's best friend

Tac'd in passenger side engine mount

Driver's side engine mount

Dad helping out. He's never done any metal working of any kind so it's all a big learning experience for him

trans and tcase located

Both crossmembers in

finish welding started on the driver's side engine mount. it will be getting some gussets later to improve the lateral stiffness

@hayeselmotors

I was able to make some more progress today and got the engine mounts finished! I've added bracing everywhere I figure appropriate and I hope they can resist movement enough. They may not be pretty, but they should work. Plus this was my first time making mounts. One may be more intricate than it needed to be. I think I was just having a good time welding . I'll either spray paint them or dip them in paint this weekend.

@hayeselmotors

Looks good, I really should do the driveline brake on mine....Make sure the t-case isn't clocked up too high that the driveshaft isn't into the toolbox if you care and with the center feed, the fuel tank might be an issue....
    Is that real money?

Quote Originally Posted by ray steadward View Post
    Looks good, I really should do the driveline brake on mine....Make sure the t-case isn't clocked up too high that the driveshaft isn't into the toolbox if you care and with the center feed, the fuel tank might be an issue....
    I briefly checked the tool box tunnel clearance. It should be ok but I'll probably revisit it. I made the mounts adjustable to I can get it exactly where it needs to be. So I can lower it a tad if I need to.

@hayeselmotors

Made some decent progress this weekend but I wish I could've done more. We tarted by painting all of the mounts and cross-members and I think they turned out really nice. We then pulled the powertrain for what was hopefully the last time. While it was out, I added back a gasket between the Tcase and trans that I had forgotten. We also welded on the frame reinforcement plates and painted them. I started to install heat shielding but I didn't order enough to finish the cab... so I've ordered more and it will get here Tuesday. In the meantime, we elected to clean and organize the garage. It needed it in a bad way. So at least now it's a pleasant place to work again.

the painted mounts and cross-members all in a pile, ready for install

The firewall heat shielding. I'm still going to add more to the right but this was what I could do with what I had. You can also see the frame reinforcement plates.

Next week, I'd like to finish install the heat shield material, paint the inside of the front end clip, and reinstall the powertrain. Then I can shift focus to the axles and engine systems (brakes, steering, fuel, coolant/heater, A/C, wiring).

Also, my bed top tent came in ! Granted, it's just going to sit in it's box until I'm ready. But it was steeply discounted so no I have it.

@hayeselmotors

Cool. Where did you get the heat shielding from? Looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by jhartings View Post
    Cool. Where did you get the heat shielding from? Looking good.
    Summit Racing. It's DEI tunnel/floor shield. pretty good stuff but a bit expensive. It's foil backed fiberglass with adhesive.

@hayeselmotors

I was able to sneak in a bit more work today on the truck since parts came in! The heat shielding ins mostly finished (I ran out of tape) and I got parts to begin making the bed top tent rack.

It's going to be pretty simple. Two 1" & 1/4 bars across the bed with feet that bolt together in 4 places. I went with steel because I figured it would be a little stronger than aluminum and the bars may as well be cantilever. Staticlly, eash bar will take ~250lbs spread across two mount points (I figure the tent + gear + 2 people ~500lbs) and dynamically 75lbs each bar dynamically (when it's just the tent driving). I hope it's ok. Worst case scenario, I have to revisit it.

@hayeselmotors

Talking

It finally happened! We were able to to install the V10 for hopefully the final time! It's sitting on it's own mounts and it looks good so far! It's bee at least 9 months building to this point. To say I'm excited about it would be an understatement. I can't believe how relatively easy it went in! I guess when you mock it up a couple times, it makes everything easier.

The only thing that I can see that's going to be a problem is the front driveline angles. the front output for the tcase has a slight up tilt to it and the front axle has a pretty significant tilt upwards. I may be able to work with some crazy double-cardon joint drive shaft but I may have to re-angle the front axle. And that would mess with the steering. I'll figure it out eventually.
    Next up is to cobble together a fuel system, wire the engine, and test fire it to make sure it works! while I'm doing that, I'll send my headers out to get cleaned up and ceramic coated. I think EJS 2020 is within reach now!

And to add to my excitement, my rear axle locker came in yesterday as well!

@hayeselmotors