Thread: Civvy intake

Default Civvy intake

I got started on one of my cold weather projects-switching out the stock carb/intake for a 2bbl. My first questions-

There is no port for a temp sender. Can I just plumb it into the port on the manifold with a tee (not the thermostat bypass, the other one)?

While I'm talking about that other port on the intake- When I got the truck there was a heater from some donor vehicle in it, not military. I'm going to take that out while I'm doing the intake. One of the hoses from the heater comes from the intake, the other goes to the bottom of the water pump. I thought that I should just take the heater out and connect the manifold and the bottom of the water pump. I looked at the manual, though, and it looks like it should go to the top of the water pump. The spot on the top where I believe it should go is currently just capped off.

The hose from the top of the valve cover can just go to the outside of the air filter housing, right?

Thanks
    Wir müssen Leben bis wir sterben

Default Picture

A little hard to see but I piped from the manifold port, put in a "T" for the sender and then hose from there. This picture was just after I got the truck. The PO had hose to a "T" and wondered why the temp sender did not work!

SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

The temp sending unit and the other hose can be put on a tee...I did...I think I have a pic somewhere here...oh heres some:

The heater is supposed to be hooked up to the plug on the passenger side of the head toward the rear...between 4 and 5 cylinders I think? Stock there is a square head plug threaded in...whne removed, a J shaped pipe is screwed in and the hose attached to that. Not getting a long enough piece leaves the hose too close to the exhaust manifold and will get you a melted hose and a big coolant leak.

There is a pic in the -20 manual...along with all the instructions on installing a factory heater...chapter 3, section 6...here is pic of the hose I am referencing:

The hose from the valve cover is supposed to go to the pcv valve......
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I should've been more specific about the vc deal. The carb I got doesn't have a port on the baseplate to thread the pcv into, the manifold doesn't have anything either. Maybe I'll need to drill and tap the manifold? I never tapped any cast material. I was thinking skipping the pcv valve and venting it into the air cleaner, but I guess that would be problematic. The heater is definitely not hooked up in the stock fashion. So the hose should go from intake to top of water pump right?

You could hook the PCV hose to the air cleaner...would be better if it had some kind of suction on it...remember the old Fords with the draft tube?

The hoses are shown in this drawing:

A, on the passenger side, is the heater return to the water pump.
    B, on the drivers side, is connected to the intake.

So the water pump has suction on the passenger side hose port to suck the hot coolant from the head through the heater core and back to the pump.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Thanks for the info. I should be good now for a while considering I get to work on it for like 15 minutes a day.

I drilled & tapped the intake for the temp sender in the stock military location. No problems there. Get a different base plate for the Holley that has the pcv port....(junkyard roadtrip!)
    Darryl

I actually just got done everything last night, just have a few odds and ends to fix up. I used a Tee for the temp sender, drilled and tapped for the PCV valve.