ForumsBasic TrainingOnline Maintenance ManualsThe M715 Zone Vin RegistryVPW's M715 Parts ListGalleriesLinks

Go Back   M715 Zone > General Tech > Stock Tech > Stock Tech Archives

Stock Tech Archives Look here first for all archived messages

Old May 6th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Private 1st Class

Swampthang is a Soldier

b, do they have a steel sleeve, if so freeze them overnight then lube them good and start them in hole then use dan's method or a big freakin c-clamp. oh yea, take a brake cyl hone or wire brush wheel and clean rust from spring eye.
Old May 7th, 2004, 03:31 AM
Basic Trainee

law is a Soldier

Be sure to post if the bushings solve the clunk noise - my truck does it too and I'm interested in a possible cure. My truck makes a single clunk as the steering wheel is turned to the lock - same as yours -B?
Old May 7th, 2004, 05:34 AM
Private

Brian Sisson is a Soldier

Not to lock, just turned. It's usually when the truck has been sitting and I start it and then the first turn or so there's a shift feel and a slight noise. Nothing else after that.

I have tightened the shock mount bolts as mine, too were loose.

I tried the big bolt method last night and it twisted the bolt in half after several different sized cheatedr bars were used.
I guess I'll take the spring off and put it in my vice.

I should have known you hippies were of no use. Sheesh.
-B.
Old May 8th, 2004, 01:47 AM
Private 1st Class

dave is an Observer

I cant hear anything on mine yet, still no exhaust on it but I checked my frontend and it pretty tight. I had a buddy turn the wheel from lock to lock and then rock it back and forth and it looked pretty good and tight. it needs greased though. ABlinn had one upper leaf with bushings installed for about $12.00, I think, on ebay.
Old May 8th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Private

All,

Well, I took my spring off so as to put it in the vice and squish the bushing in that way. As I took out the front spring bushing I noted that it seemed loose in the eye. I swapped them and the back one was a perfect fit to the front eye and the the front fit the back perfect.
It all made sense after that.
2 years ago I had replaced the front busings with 2 that i picked up from Memphis Equipment. They fit about 1/8" too loose. Then last week I went back to Memphis Equipment and got the rear ones and they were about 1/8" too big. I'll let ME know next time I'm there that they have the bins mixed up.

To anyone doing this: Tkae off your springs and use a vice and washer to press in the bushings. It's ALOT easier than any other method. If a bushing is gone, then you have to get out the metal outter sleeve and that can prove to be hard. I found that using a metal bladed saw-zall is easiest. Slip the blade between the ends of the spring and saw out the sleeve. Then it can be hammered out.
I coated the outside of my bushings with anti-sieze. My bolts too.
When you put the spring back on, put you jack under the center of the spring and tighten it back up to the axle houseing before you tighten your U bolts as this will ensure they all get leveled.

Good luck!
-B.

Guy,
This did cure my clunk. I had 3 bushing gone and one that was ovaled out.
Old May 17th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Basic Trainee

law is a Soldier

-B,
The description of your CLUNK matches mine perfectly - I'm going to get some bushings ordered this week. Question, did you replace the bushing in the shackel when you changed the front and rear spring eye busings? I didn't know if I should pick this one up too. I want to have all the parts I need before I start the job.

Thanks,
Les
Old May 17th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Private

Les,

I forgot about you. Sorry.
To finnish the story- this DID fix my clunk. I drove my rig around alot this weekend and never heard it. It also seemed to fix alot of my stability problems that I had thought were bad shocks. My rig now feels more steady on the road.

I replaced the front shackle top bushings about a year ago and they still appeared new. The rest of my spring bushings are new too. It was really an easy job and I wish I'da done it a year ago as I was always fearful of that clunk.

Good luck,
-B.