Thread: Quick question about Pertronix ignition and coils

Default Quick question about Pertronix ignition and coils

I have a NOS, old style coil that uses the external ballast resistor that sits under the coil in the ignitor. I have called a couple of the parts suppliers looking for this ballast ignition and have come up empty handed.

My question is, can I use this coil without the resistor with a Pertronix kit without burning up my new coil? If not, is there a source for a resistor that I can make work?
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The coils are sensitive to the voltage input and 12v is too much. The newer coils are almost always junk from China and end up burning up anyway. I used a external resistor from O'Reilly Auto Parts a couple of years ago. I think it was a RU17 but I not positive now. You will have to check to see what the specs are for the one they sell. I had to drop my input from 12 to 9 volts to keep the coil from over heating.

Eric

Pertronix told me that I need to get my ohms resistance going through the coil to at least 6 ohms which I was able to do with an external resistor, but it still shows 17 volts coming out of the resistor (key on, engine off) as it heads back to the coil. Maybe I should add another resistor in line till I get the voltage to drop down under 12 volts?

I ended up cutting a hole in the side of the cap to run my my wires through. Its kinda butch but I couldn't figure out any other way of doing it.

Something that is odd and has me puzzled, is with it running, I go to check voltage at the resistor and it is fluctuating from 40-130 volts. I'm not seeing that voltage spike at the batteries, which is still around 28 volts.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk